Any left handed players out there?

Marci2800
Marci2800
01/22/2016 1:12 pm
Just the other day I decided it was time to renew my interest, renew guitar tricks and restring my right handed guitar to left handed and am on my way again.
I started guitar a few years back learning right handed because of a lame instructor that refused to teach me left handed so i started right (wrong really). Ive regretted it ever since but decided it was time to try it. I am for now, just restringing my current guitar to left handed and if it all goes ok, I will be buying a true left handed guitar.
I am so excited to be doing this and that guitar tricks is back in my life..
They are the best!!
# 1
MellottMusic
MellottMusic
01/23/2016 1:22 am
It's definitely not right for an instructor to force someone to pick up guitar with their right hand if they are a lefty. It doesn't make much sense. I know a couple individuals who are awesome musicians and they have similar stories to you where they had to first learn with their right. Of course they had to reteach themselves to play with their natural (left) hand after a little while.
# 2
Marci2800
Marci2800
01/23/2016 3:10 am
I am so excited to wake up tomorrow and devote a whole day to practicing on my left hand stringed guitar!
# 3
Marci2800
Marci2800
01/23/2016 3:17 am
ThNk you merlot
I felt so deflated with this guy but I continued with him! I am a 61 year old female and not give a rats petunia any more! I'm doing it left handed damn it!
# 4
bikerboy94
bikerboy94
03/17/2016 4:14 am
Lefty myself know how you feel. I played converted right handed guitars but after getting first lefty guitar never again. Its just so much better. Feel and balance are spot on.
# 5
tweety67
tweety67
03/17/2016 2:07 pm
Lefty here too.

I played a restrung right handed guitar as well until I bought a lefty one.

Have fun learning the right(left) way!
# 6
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/17/2016 6:11 pm
Welcome back Marci!

At Guitar Tricks we encourage our members to choose their own guitar style and what feels right to them. We are happy to have you with us!

I hope to see updates on your progress in the forum!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 7
tweetie-bird
tweetie-bird
12/28/2016 3:19 pm

I had a similar problem when I first started learning. People in the guitar world insist that leftys can learn right. I wish the guitar world would be a little more inclusive of leftys. I eventually realized I can only make it to the basics learning right. Once, I purchased a lefty that is all she wrote for me. Feels much more natural to me..

# 8
asivesind
asivesind
05/12/2017 4:25 am

I have only been playing for about a year but when I started I was told to play right handed, I felt as if I was playing with my toes, Now I have a sweet left handed Gretch and its coming to me so much easier. Sure wish Guitar Tricks would add a left handed scales option to their toolbox..

# 9
rddugdale
rddugdale
06/19/2020 4:28 pm

I would like to see how much a right handed person woulld like to be told it would best he learned to play left handed.

Nuff said.

# 10
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/19/2020 6:19 pm
Originally Posted by: rddugdale

I would like to see how much a right handed person woulld like to be told it would best he learned to play left handed.

Nuff said.

If this doesn’t exist already I’d love to see a YouTube show where famous guitarists are brought on and forced to play guitar left-handed. For those of us who are experienced players and have never tried it, it’s sort of a reminder of how a beginner feels.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 11
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/19/2020 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

If this doesn’t exist already I’d love to see a YouTube show where famous guitarists are brought on and forced to play guitar left-handed. For those of us who are experienced players and have never tried it, it’s sort of a reminder of how a beginner feels.

-Carl.

Justin Sandercoe from justinguitar has been doing a series of videos where he is taking his own lessons and learning to play left-handed. He is "Nitsuj" in this series. It is pretty interesting to watch as he struggles along with the same issues the rest of us beginners suffer through. Even as experienced as he is, things that you don't think of as left or right handed, like rhythm, are clearly harder for him when he is playing lefty. It's a pretty smart way for him to test his own teaching methods and along the way he has discovered a few things that have led him to change the way he teaches a few things.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 12
biker-mouse
biker-mouse
06/20/2020 8:32 pm

I'm right handed ,but learning to play left handed due to a wrist injury.keep dipping back interesting to find I can transpose all the chord positions in an evening. Makes me wonder if I am mentally thinking right handed and transposing that to the left.

# 13
bbriant
bbriant
06/22/2020 7:11 am

when I was at school in the 50s in the UK left handed kids where considered has being rebelious and any time i used my left handed to write I was rapped across the knuckles with a ruler the same happened when I used a knife and fork.

Well it did not work I am still left handed.

In the 60s-70s I started to learn guitar on my friends guitars upside down I managed to learn the the 3 basic cords G-C-D but struggled with the rest, my friend did not or could not teach me.

then about 1969 I saw left handed fender style guitar in a shop selling suitcases.

the man who own the shop let me pay a little each week and a 6 months later the guitar was mine.

It was terrible the action was high remember there was no guitar techs around for the general public then.

But I was starting to learn. then my home was broken into by vandals and the smash what the could not take, and took my gutiar.

I gave up trying then. started again a couple of years ago have 4 left handed guitars.

There is so much around for left handed people now all the old stigmata seem to have disappeared.

Sorry this is so long.

Barry

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.