Custom Guitar Sites

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/17/2002 4:47 am
The time for me getting a new electric guitar draws nearer everyday, and i just had to go back on here to ask your opinions on such a topic.
Right now i have $700, and every month i get $300, and i don't spend any of it so it adds up fast. My options as far as what kind of guitar i can get broaden all the time now, and here are several of my option
1.) Gibson SG Standard (double cutaway!)
2.) Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty (3 humbuckers!)
3.) Fender Deluxe American Strat (they're okay, prolly won't get one though)
4. I could get a custom guitar from Warmoth, learn how to do guitar making and such myself, and get a nice Jerry Garcia guitar lookalike...A little more risky of a move since i would have to fully understand how to install stuff and all that...I'm considering this option though because i found, in the misc. section in the thrift shop, under "WGD" a "Tiger" lookalike (!), which got me excited. It would have to be the 3 humbucker one they have available, but i'd have it in a different type of wood than mahogony i believe.

there are a few more options, but the custom world seems to be king, and i want the best for my money. Here's a link to the style of guitar i'd possibly get

http://www.users.qwest.net/~dbitondo/jgprojects.htm

Im in no imminent hurry to get ONLY that one, im likely to hold off on it and get a different one, save up and try the custom thing later (instead of putting all eggs in one basket), but if i find a great deal i just might take it.
Other than Stewmac and Warmoth, anybody got some cool custom guitar sites? I went to Alembic, but everything there costs $5000 or more...Thanks!
# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/18/2002 12:01 am
Yes i figured i could do the electronics myself, i learn quickly, and i could experiment on my Squier Strat with it.

I know it won't sound too much like Jerry's, Jerry's weighed 14 pounds i'd have to save up at least 5 more thousand dollars to get a guitar from Alembic that is nearly as good. What i want is a guitar that is versatile, sounds awesome, looks good. Im going to buy some "make your own guitar" books, and some electronics books also.

As far as pickups, i know what pickups jerry used (Dimarzio Super 2's, mostly), but whether i'll get those or not i'll decide in the future.

You do know i have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Combo Re-issue, don't you? Its an awesome amp, and when i gig im just going to send the preamp out to a Mcintosh through some JBL speakers and mike the speakers, i mean all fender tube amps have the same preamp circutry (sp?) so its not like im sacrificing sound there(so i can still hear myself on stage while also being miked).

I plan on getting into the custom making and all that, but do you think now is a good time to get into it, since if i fail miserably at it (which i prolly wont) im screwed since the only other electric guitar i got is my piece of crap squier...?

Right now i got my options down to
Epi LP Black Beauty 3 humbuckers ($620)
Gibson SG ($1250)
Go Custom

so basically, 3 options, and i dont think i can go seriously wrong by picking any of them, especially if i go with the stock guitars since its less risky, but its what sounds good, not the name on the neck...My concern for the SG is (from the recordings i've heard) they don't seem to be as versatile as the LP's, a little more raw than an LP is.

What im thinking is, if im going to spend over $1000, I might as well get a nice custom guitar...

Do you know about Jerry's effect loop bypasser? Its hard to explain, but i want to put that on whatever guitar i end up getting, it gives you the option to bypass any effects without turning it off, so instead of just turning it down or something, you can just switch it..i believe alembic calls it "TRS" http://www.alembic.com/info/manual_tribute.html .

What if i wanted to have a tone control for each humbucker, and a volume control for each humbucker (considering im going to have 3), making it a total of 6, is that easy to put in too?

# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/18/2002 12:09 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
Yes i figured i could do the electronics myself, i learn quickly, and i could experiment on my Squier Strat with it.

I know it won't sound too much like Jerry's, Jerry's weighed 14 pounds i'd have to save up at least 5 more thousand dollars to get a guitar from Alembic that is nearly as good. What i want is a guitar that is versatile, sounds awesome, looks good. Im going to buy some "make your own guitar" books, and some electronics books also.

As far as pickups, i know what pickups jerry used (Dimarzio Super 2's, mostly), but whether i'll get those or not i'll decide in the future.

You do know i have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Combo Re-issue, don't you? Its an awesome amp, and when i gig im just going to send the preamp out to a Mcintosh through some JBL speakers and mike the speakers, i mean all fender tube amps have the same preamp circutry (sp?) so its not like im sacrificing sound there(so i can still hear myself on stage while also being miked).

I plan on getting into the custom making and all that, but do you think now is a good time to get into it, since if i fail miserably at it (which i prolly wont) im screwed since the only other electric guitar i got is my piece of crap squier...?

Right now i got my options down to
Epi LP Black Beauty 3 humbuckers ($620)
Gibson SG ($1250)
Go Custom

so basically, 3 options, and i dont think i can go seriously wrong by picking any of them, especially if i go with the stock guitars since its less risky, but its what sounds good, not the name on the neck...My concern for the SG is (from the recordings i've heard) they don't seem to be as versatile as the LP's, a little more raw than an LP is.

What im thinking is, if im going to spend over $1000, I might as well get a nice custom guitar...

Do you know about Jerry's effect loop bypasser? Its hard to explain, but i want to put that on whatever guitar i end up getting, it gives you the option to bypass any effects without turning it off, so instead of just turning it down or something, you can just switch it..i believe alembic calls it "TRS" http://www.alembic.com/info/manual_tribute.html .

You said electronics is easy, but what if i wanted to have a tone knob for each humbucker (3 knobs), a volume knob for each humbucker (3 knobs, total of 6), 3 three way LP style selector switches (for each humbucker, for rhythm/treble, inbetween), and a 5 way fender selector switch (determining which humbucker its playin on)? :D im actually serious...

# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/18/2002 4:10 am
I'd rather have 6 knobs, relatively close together, Volume in one horizontal row for each pickup and tone under it for each pickup, for instance

p/u-1 volume p/u-2 volume p/u-3-volume
p/u-1 tone p/u-2 tone p/u-3-tone

then i'd have the TRS outputs (actually pretty complicated, but i will get it done. check dozin.com for more info on this, effects bypasser thing, its cool),

Then i'd have a 5 way Fender style selector (thingy...) going "bridge ; bridge/middle ; middle ;middle/neck ;neck "
for choosing the humbucker.

You know how you choose treble/lead/and that inbetween sound (i believe they are called 3 way selectors, most commonly found on LP's), instead of having just one of those (or none) for treble/middle/rhythm, i'd have 3 of those right next to my 5 way selector switch, to control each individual humbucker (so i could be playing rhythm on one humbucker, and instead of turning the thing from Rhythm to inbetween to treble;which takes a few seconds or so to do, i could just smack that 5 way selector switch;which takes milliseconds; and i'd be off)

I don't know if much of that is possible, but thats like my dream guitar, and i think it can be done.

1.) Is that possible, to have controls for Treble/Middle/Rhythm on each individual humbucker?
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2002 4:22 pm
Hey IH, glad you are back

I got a couple of ideas for you.

The first is get a lot of different second hand guitars with good resale prices that you can buy, play for a couple of months and move on from. I found a TexMex California strat this way (paid 400 USD for it) which is a real bruit to play but sounds incredible. Im doing plenty of recording at the moment and find that Im using it more than the PRS CE24 I paid considerably more for !!!!

Secondly, I laughed my socks off reading your thread about finger calluses......It reminded me of me totally !!!!! Have you ever tried playing the bass guitar ? If you want big fat calluses that will with stand nuclear strikes and never go away basses are the way to go !!!!!

Oh yes, StewMac do a cool vid. about how to wire a Strat guitar ($10 I think.). It is fairly cool (though if you already know your way around, you will probably want more depth.

[Edited by Dr_simon on 08-18-2002 at 11:26 AM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/18/2002 6:48 pm
Thing about buying 2nd hand guitars is, somebody else played it before me...which is something i'd always remember.

I think im just going to experiment on my squier with the pickups and such, maybe buy a neck from warmoth and learn to put the neck on myself, etc...
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2002 11:58 pm
I also don't get the guitar virginity thing though that is perhaps because Im an old fart ! Im still trying (after nearly 20 years) to play as many different guitars as possible as I want to:
a) Find out what is out there and
b) Find out what I like. I have one or two ideas however Im still pleasantly surprised from time to time!

I also think it is important to remember that it is the way you play that is important, yes the guitar, amp, cables etc etc contribute to the overall tone however at the end of the day it is you and not the guitar that people will listen to.
Having said that, I have seen several homemade guitars and all of them have been dogs (that isā€¦ā€¦.. very bad). Im not saying that there aren't some really nice scratch built or hot rodded ones out there however the people at Fender / Gibson etc build guitars everyday for years and years, that is not the sort of experience you pick up overnight reading a book......

If you have a nice guitar and some cash to spend, well go for it !!!!! However, if the funds are limited, it is possible to end up with an very unplayable and expensive dog!

Anyway I hope you totally enjoy it Dude as shopping for guitars is one of my favorite things !!!

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2002 1:27 am
The reason I'm reluctant to purchase a used guitar, is because simply it's used, its kind of like how you feel better with a brand new car than with a car that is used (usually at least), feels more secure, just overall better. If i had the choice between a 1997 Mercedes Benz that Tom Cruise drove or a 2002 Mercedes Benz that almost nobody drove (with like 5 miles on the gauge) i'd pick the 2002, i dont know why, thats just me. Most used guitars that I would love the way they feel, i can buy them new, and they'd feel just as good.
I plan on buying a wiring book.
I don't see why it couldn't be done, with a rhythm/middle/treble control for each humbucker, and even if it can't be done yet, i think its a good idea, and it would give alot more tonal possibilities. Same with my 3 Volume/3 Tone idea, its the same as the 2 tone/2 volume only just add one each.
-------
"I think I may be misunderstanding you, but you're saying that, in addition to the pot switches (which you turn), you want a selector switch from each pickup, so that each humbucker has a tone, a volume, and a switch, plus a 5-way selector for all the pickups?"

Yes!!! Thats exactly what i mean, but they would all be relatively close together so it wouldn't look too gaudy.

Here me out-
You have 3 different volume pot switches, one for each humbucker (i'd have 3;total control over volume)

3 tone controls, one for each humbucker (total control, once again)

then for each humbucker, i thought up an idea for a rhythm/middle/lead 3 way selector, to have 3 of those, but to have one for each humbucker, instead of just one to decide which humbucker you choose. This would make it possible to play a kind of rhythm on the bridge pickup, but with some punch (but more rhythm based), or vise versa, etc.

Then a 5 way selector switch, to choose the humbucker that you're using.

So lets go through this.

Your playing on the Neck Humbucker (according to the 5 way selector), but instead of using the Rhythm (from the 3 way selector for that humbucker) you have it on Lead, making it a little more punchy, but still retaining most of its bluesy feel. You have the Volume on the Neck humbucker at, say 6. Your in a jam, and its morphing. Instead of turning the volume up and smacking the 5 way selector switch to go to the bridge humbucker, you simply smack the 5 way selector, and you already have the volume (of the bridge pickup) at 10 and are ready to go. This concept, except for the individual Rhythm/Middle/Treble controls, is just an extension of the LP style (mostly, but theres more:D). Now, lets say your kickin a phatty Solo with your Boss Overdrive Pedal (lets just say) and suddenly you morph into a song. What's the best way to skip the overdrive that your guitar is currently plugged into? Simply use the effects bypasser, it will bypass any effect that your guitar has on it, so you can just go from Overdrive to "Stayin Alive" , if thats your thing.

What's so special about the TRS (as alembic calls it)? Normally, If you change the volume on your guitar, while you have an effect on, the effect actually changes too (usually making it sound sort of awkward). The effects bypasser skips the volume part on your guitar, has nothing to do with it, it's always running at the same consistency, meaning if you turn the guitar down, it will still run smoothly, since the effect and the volume of your guitar have nothing to do with each other. Genius idea, imo.
It needs 2 cords though to plug into, one for effects, one for the actual guitar.
------
"First off... ten switches?? Man, the tohught of managing ten different controls on my guitar is a scary one indeed, especially if I'm doing it live. I'd think twice before that; the Carvin I want has a total of eight, and I'll probably use three of them while performing, tops. It's best to keep the knobs to a minimum, and try to streamline things as much as possible. That way, you can focus on playing well and impressing the girl in the front row with big boobies instead of making sure you're guitar is coming through OK down to the last millidecible."

well thats the thing, its not like you need to use all 10 switches at the same time, or that much at all. It just broadens your possibilities, gives you more control over what you want it to sound like. You could (if you wanted) leave the three-3 way selector switches at the their normal places like a normal guitar if you wanted, its just an option. You could put the tone controls all the same and the volume all the same if you wanted, just remember which humbucker your using when changing volume.
Personally, i could care less about the girl in the front row with big knockers, i didn't get into music to get chicks, i got into music to play music...must be different for deadheads, or OtherOneHeads, than to the rest of the world...
-----
"Secondly, the three way switch controls the two humbuckers on the guitar; the isn't a specific "mode" if you will on each humbucker."

But I think that it is entirely possible. Why not? I don't want to sound like im arguing with you or anything, respect you to the highest, but i don't see why this couldn't be done. Perhaps its long down the road, but i think it will be done (if it hasnt been done yet) in the near future.
-----
"Giving each pickup its own switch serves no real purpose; you could use each switch as a coil tap, but you might just as well get a push/pull pot and wire it so that you can just pull the tone pot up and turn it into a single coil."

Think about the possibilites though, dont you just wish sometimes that you had more options on your guitar? It would broaden the world of guitar, imo, and i see a huge reason for having it done.
----
"The tone switch is what you use to decide how much output you want to come through... even on LP's and SG's. The switch just controls which pickup/s are "on." "

And i realize that, but again, its customizability, its just like LP style 2-tone 2-volume, only making it 3 since i'd have 3 humbuckers.
-----
"The only thing I can really think of having extra selector switches for is as an on/off switch, I've seen some people do that rather than having a master selector switch, but again, why?? You also should think of the guitar's cosmetics; do you really want a beautiful, choice figured top dotted with tons of switches and knobs?"

Its really not that many, i mean think about it. Take 6 Gold Knobs (all close together, in 2 horizontal rows), have the 5 way selector switch moved a little to the right (if your looking at your guitar, if your guitar is on the floor and your looking at it), directly next to the 5 way selector switch is the three-3 way selector switches, each being right next to one another.
----
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2002 3:17 am
lol. May be true, about the acid trip, but i think deadheads are more devoted to the music than, say metalhead fans.
Yeah, and really as long as i can modify my tone in ways normal guitarists can't, or at least i can modify it very well, i'll be happy.

Originally posted by PonyOne
And since this is your guitar you should do what you want, just remember, a dead hero is still dead, and overkill is still overkill.

Just because Jerry isn't alive today doesn't mean i can't celebrate his music tommorow.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/19/2002 4:18 am
I think, if you do your research, you'll find that making a whole bunch of control combinations possible does not mean that all of those possible combinations are useful. In fact, some of them are going to sound downright [u]disgustiing[/u]! And then there's the solemn fact that the good combinations are going to be hard to find quickly, making live playing into a very risky proposition.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/19/2002 3:09 pm
With all these knobs and switches, you might want to look into some midi switching and a laptop, or maybe even hire a tech to do the off stage switching...........
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2002 10:38 pm
incidents, i didn't mean dead hero as in jerry garcia, it was an analogy. perhaps you've never heard that term. it actually refers to soldiers, not Jerry Garcia.

you can celebrate his music, but don't emulate it. There arre a lot of good bands out there, the grateful dead is just one of many.

lol, no i seriously thought you were talkin about jerry.

And i play dead songs, but i don't sound much like jerry or bob weir, which is good.
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/19/2002 10:41 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
I think, if you do your research, you'll find that making a whole bunch of control combinations possible does not mean that all of those possible combinations are useful. In fact, some of them are going to sound downright [u]disgustiing[/u]! And then there's the solemn fact that the good combinations are going to be hard to find quickly, making live playing into a very risky proposition.

The more i think about it, maybe your right, but its an idea that i had, and i still think in the future somebody will revolutionize it and totally make it sound better.

Then again, you can do most of the things i mentioned with pedals and a footswitch, but the whole "On-Guitar-Effects" thing sort of got me thinking...
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2002 12:27 am
...the whole "On-Guitar-Effects" thing sort of got me thinking...
The Danelectro Innuendo may be of some interest...
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/20/2002 3:30 am
My SG has dial-in overdrive on the tone knob. Off, it sounds regular (basically, 1-5 it works like a normal tone knob, and after that, it adds overdrive). on, it sounds like it's being played over an older, 60's tube-driven gain circuit. Pretty neat, took me like 5 mins to do.

Yes!! See its things like that, that i want on my guitar, only on a slightly larger scale! :D
# 15
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/20/2002 5:31 am
Hey look, it's a "Swiss Army" Guitar, Incidents, as you experiment you'll probaly discover that many times it is easier to do alot with a little, than to do a little with alot, their is also the problems of ground loops, capacitive loading and resistance, and the limitations of physical space in the control cavity, add the problem of remembering how to find that magic setting in real time, I say get your tools and info together, and get to it, you'll learn more in a few days than all the yammering we'll ever do here, start simple, it's the best way to learn this stuff.....
# 16
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/20/2002 6:01 pm
Would it be hard to put 3 Humbuckers in place of my 3 pickups that i have on my squier? I'd imagine you'd have to cut part of the body out, and part of the pickguard...

# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2002 6:11 pm
Take a look under the pickguard. Some Squier's are already routed out for 'buckers.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/20/2002 11:20 pm
Alright, i'll do that, but i can't take the whole thing off, otherwise i'd have to take the strings off (and i just put new strings on...).

If i just removed the top part of the pickguard and lifted it, could i tell easily like that, or would i have to unscrew all of the screws, take the strings off, etc...?
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2002 11:37 pm
...If i just removed the top part of the pickguard and lifted it, could i tell easily like that, or would i have to unscrew all of the screws, take the strings off, etc...?
Get a small Philips screwdriver, roll up your sleeves, and find out.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.