Em chord shape

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
12/18/2018 10:40 pm

Hey Everyone,[br][br]I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice. [br][br]I am currently on guitar fundamentals 2 and feel I am making really good progress. I am becoming very comfortable with open chords and I am also getting pretty copmfortable with barre chords, I am currently working on the barre chords section. [br][br]However, I did have a quick question regarding the fingering of the E minor chord. For example, I have been currently learning to play 'Bad Things' by Jace Everett. The main chord progression contains a switch from E minor to B7, both open chords. I have noticed that some people play the E minor for this change with the middle and ring finger as opposed to the index and middle finger. I can play the chord both ways and can switch from E minor to B7 with both the index and middle finger method and also the middle and ring finger method. However, I find that the middle and ring finger method is much smoother when transitioning to a B7. Can I mix and match the two shapes or should I stick to the traditional index finger and middle finger method?

Perhaos I am overthinking this, but if anyone could offer me some advice I would be very grateful.[br][br]Kind Regards

Tim

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/19/2018 5:50 pm

Hi Sleepers Hill,

The answer to questions like this is usually, do whatever is most comfortable to you. There's really no wrong way to play the Em, unless you're playing it with your pinky or something, but even then, maybe there's a good reason for that!

I think that the important thing is, you have the versatility to play ith both ways. However, for the sake of playing the actual song, you said that playing the Em with your middle and ringer finger makes the transition to B7 a lot easier, so I would stick with that for the purposes of the song.

If you can play it, and play it well, play it!

That's all there is to it.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
12/22/2018 7:57 pm

Hi Billy, [br][br]Thanks for the reply.

Ah that is great! Thanks for the really helpful advice! [br][br]All the best and have a great xmas

Tim

# 3
aerosol666
aerosol666
01/07/2019 4:15 pm

Using the middle and ring finger makes great sense for Em because those are the fingers you'd use for those notes if playing E as a major chord. Also changes between Am and Em chords will be much easier.

# 4
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/07/2019 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: aerosol666

Using the middle and ring finger makes great sense for Em because those are the fingers you'd use for those notes if playing E as a major chord. Also changes between Am and Em chords will be much easier.

Thanks Aerosol 666

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
01/07/2019 8:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill Can I mix and match the two shapes .....?

Hi Tim 😀

My "two bob's worth".

[u]Concise answers[/u].

1. Yes.

2. You're not over-analysing.

[u]Elaborative response[/u].

Re 2. You've reached that point where that "either, or both, and when" question quite naturally arises.

Re 1. The following is my personal pragmatic conclusion based upon my own limited experience, current playing tactility and applied logic. I can now (have for a long while) and do use both fingerings easily and subliminally just as I do with e.g. E, G, F and other open (& barre) chords. The choice is usually a considered conscious one initially, but within each learned song, contingent to the context of the riff I'm playing. In practise, I can readily switch between either form for Em, and many other songs, both independently and contextually. As an exercise, an easy song to practise this with is the repetitive rhythm part cum campfire version of America's "A Horse With No Name" where the simple driving verse riff can be played played alternately using either fingers 1 & 2 or 2 & 3. By alternating, I mean play the riff with one finger config or the other entire, then switch and play it with the second until you have the dexterity to perform using either at will. The skill will carry over to other material.

It just makes sense, for precisely the reasoning you presented. e.g. When I'm playing "Your Gonna' Lose That Girl", Lennon's rhythm part (key of E) for instance, there's a change from B7 to E in the verse's riff which then proceeds to alternating barre chords within it and preceding the change to the key of G of the chorus. Playing that E within the context of this song with fingers 2, 3 & 4 instead of 1, 2 & 3 just better facilitates the fingering flow of the riff. Similarly playing the chorus, I alternate between the open chords G, C & F & barre G, C, & F. They give the song a different timbre, and of course practising it both ways enhances my dexterity & flexibility and being able to do so at will easily, all important confidence.

In my experience and reckoning, as a generalisation and specific to your question re open Em, both forms become natural or instinctive with time and exposure, like the multiple ways to play a barre major with either finger 3 only or fingers 2, 3, 4 fingering the chord notes, or ?

Lastly a consideration. Of course, the forefinger #1 is for most of us is the strongest finger, with respectively fingers 2 & 3 being stronger, longer and generally more flexible & muscularly responsive than the pinky #4. For me, provided both forms make the notes of the chord ring out tonally as desired, I use whichever form advantages ease of play. This coincides with a tip offered me by a luthier I consult who has also been a pub band player for 25 years as his evening/second job. He advised to use the fingering which facilitates ease and thus speed whenever possible where it's tonally acceptable.

Long winded answer I know. Just sharing perspectives gleaned from part of my journey so far with you.

Cheers 😺🐾🐾🐾

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.