Squier Affinity Stratocaster (Going out of Tune)

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
12/22/2018 8:03 pm

Hi Guys, [br][br]I currently own a Squier Affinity Stratocaster with the tremolo arm removed as I don't use it. I recently had some new strings put on it and I have given them a good stretch. However, the guitar seems to go out of tune really quickly, and it is quite frustrating. CCuld anyone offer some advice as to why the guitar is doing this? If you could get back to me I would be very grateful

Kind Regards

Tim

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/22/2018 10:06 pm

Hey, Tim. That's really frsturating!

Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

I currently own a Squier Affinity Stratocaster with the tremolo arm removed as I don't use it. I recently had some new strings put on it and I have given them a good stretch. However, the guitar seems to go out of tune really quickly, and it is quite frustrating. CCuld anyone offer some advice as to why the guitar is doing this?

I own a couple of those Squiers & some are better than others. Possible problem areas include:

1. Strings just not stretched completely yet.

2. Loose windings around tuner post.

3. Floating bridge not settled in place due to new strings with diffeent tension.

This tutorial might be helpful in isolating the problem. Especially lessons 4 & 5.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1974

I also encourage you to ask this question in the Ask a Guitar Tech forum. Steven is really good at isolating problems & offering solutions.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
billshan46
Full Access
billshan46
Full Access
12/27/2018 3:44 am

Hey Tim,

I have a Squier Affinity Strat as well and I had a similar problem. I found the some loose nuts on the tuning posts and I screwed the floating bridge down so it doesn't float. No more problem. Once new strings are stretched it very rarely goes out of tune.

# 3
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/04/2019 4:36 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey, Tim. That's really frsturating!

Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

I currently own a Squier Affinity Stratocaster with the tremolo arm removed as I don't use it. I recently had some new strings put on it and I have given them a good stretch. However, the guitar seems to go out of tune really quickly, and it is quite frustrating. CCuld anyone offer some advice as to why the guitar is doing this?

I own a couple of those Squiers & some are better than others. Possible problem areas include:

1. Strings just not stretched completely yet.

2. Loose windings around tuner post.

3. Floating bridge not settled in place due to new strings with diffeent tension.

This tutorial might be helpful in isolating the problem. Especially lessons 4 & 5.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1974

I also encourage you to ask this question in the Ask a Guitar Tech forum. Steven is really good at isolating problems & offering solutions.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Hi Christopher[br][br]Thanks for all the useful information it really helped.

I ended up taking the guitar to a shop and they put a couple of extra springs in the back and now no tuning issues :). [br][br]Thanks again

Tim

# 4
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/04/2019 4:36 pm
Originally Posted by: billshan46

Hey Tim,

I have a Squier Affinity Strat as well and I had a similar problem. I found the some loose nuts on the tuning posts and I screwed the floating bridge down so it doesn't float. No more problem. Once new strings are stretched it very rarely goes out of tune.

Thanks for the tip Bill! Really helped out :). [br][br]All the best

Tim

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.