Fretting hand fatigue

JP149
JP149
01/12/2019 8:45 pm

Hi,

I've been learning to play about a year and would like to know if there is any tips to relaxing your fretting hand. My hand is getting tired very fast while I play. I must be pressing my thumb against the neck too mutch. I have tried to loosen my hand and play relaxed but after a while I always press to hard. Maybe this has something to do with my first guitar whitch was quite hard to play. Now I have Seagull S6 and I consider that it is way easier to play. It was properly set up at shop.

I keep my thumb on upper third of the neck most most of the time. My palm doesn`t touch the bottom of the neck in any time. I think my grip from the neck is just like Lisa instructed.

Is this fatigue just lack of training? I've been training about 1-2h a day almost a year so I think I should have developed some kind of strenght to my hand.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

# 1
a.playle
a.playle
01/12/2019 10:46 pm

Hi

I think that having your thumb resting against the back of the neck when you are fretting a chords causes an incredible amount of tension in the muscles at the base of the thumb.

If you watch Lisa's video called The Opposable Thumb you will see that she actually has her thumb positioned well above the top of the fret board (ideally your thumb should be able to reach over and mute the low E string), which is a position that allows the muscles in the forearm and hand to be relaxed. Here's a little experiment - fret a C chord and allow you thumb to mute on the Low E string... you should have no tension in your forearm or hand at all. Now keep the C chord fretted and slowly move your thumb down the neck towards the floor... feel your hand and arm muscles tightening?

Personally the only time that I would have the pad of my thumb resting on the back of the neck is when I am playing barre chords, which unfortunately is a biomechanical necessity. It's also worth noting that you need very little pressure to actually fret the chords (apart from the dreaded 1st fret barre chords). Also check that your guitar is stable and securely resting against your body when you are playing as there is nothing harder than having a death grip on the neck while trying to switch chords. Another thing that you can try if you hand is starting to get tired when playing barre chords is to play the chord staccato or unfretted in places to give your hand a rest.

Good luck!

# 2
danhurley05
danhurley05
01/13/2019 2:29 am

a.playle......

You offer good advise, and have helped me as well!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

# 3
JP149
JP149
01/13/2019 10:23 am

So been doing it wrong from the beginning. Will take some time to get rid of old habit now.

Thanks for the advice.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.