Tapping feet to keep time.

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/13/2019 12:07 pm

Hey Everyone, [br][br]I was sitting playing guitar the other day and I suddenly became aware that when I am playing I constantly keep time by tapping my right foot, this is a totally subconcious thing so I decided to search online and see what other people do. I came across two lessons on youtube funnily enough and saw one lesson in which the teacher stated that if you play with your guitar resting on your right leg you should tap with your left foot and if you rest the guitar on your left leg tapwith the right foot. However, I play with the guitar resting on my right leg and tap with my right foot, I presume this is from years of playing drums. The first lesson I saw the teacher said that tapping with the right foot if you are playing with the guitar on the right leg is bad because it bumps the guitar up and down. However, I've found no real problems like that. I then watched the second lesson and the teacher stated that it doesnt really matter which foot you tap with just do what is comfortable.[br][br]Therefore, what I would like to know is should I try and tap with my left foot or just keep tapping with my right? I am sure I could start tapping with my left but it just feels so alien as my right foot is so hard wired to tap. If anyone could advise I would be very grateful and also are there any lessons on guitar tricks covering this topic?[br][br]Thanks again

[br]Tim

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2019 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill[br]I was sitting playing guitar the other day and I suddenly became aware that when I am playing I constantly keep time by tapping my right foot, this is a totally subconcious thing so I decided to search online and see what other people do.[/quote]

As you noted, it's a subsoncscious process & most likely a natural result of years of playing drums. Further, it's a fairly standard thing you will see in many musicians. It's a well established premise that music can represent or evoke certain emotional states or responses. Lesson common, but equally important, is the premise that the rhythmic element of music imitates, represents or evokes certain types of motion.

After all this is why people dance, tap their feet, nod their head. :)

Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

I then watched the second lesson and the teacher stated that it doesnt really matter which foot you tap with just do what is comfortable.[br]

[p]That's good advice.

[quote=Sleepers Hill][br]Therefore, what I would like to know is should I try and tap with my left foot or just keep tapping with my right?

I don't think there are any lesson covering that topic. But in both Lisa's & my GF courses we discuss making sure that your body posture is as relaxed as possible. Any tension or unnatural motion that hinders your playing should be avoided. So with that in mind if you naturally tap your foot or nod your head in time, that's perfectly fine as long as it doesn't hinder your ability to play.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/13/2019 6:53 pm

Hi Christopher, [br][br]Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Your advice is really helpful and greatly appreciated. Well I have never noticed any hinderance in my playing when I tap with my right foot, I find the guitar bobs up and down slightly with the rhythm but that to me just makes me feel locked in with the groove and I've never found any difficuilty with my playing. Thanks for the reassurance and I think I will just continue to play as I do. [br][br]Thanks again Christopher!

All the best

Tim

quote=Sleepers Hill]

Hey Everyone, [br][br]I was sitting playing guitar the other day and I suddenly became aware that when I am playing I constantly keep time by tapping my right foot, this is a totally subconcious thing so I decided to search online and see what other people do. I came across two lessons on youtube funnily enough and saw one lesson in which the teacher stated that if you play with your guitar resting on your right leg you should tap with your left foot and if you rest the guitar on your left leg tapwith the right foot. However, I play with the guitar resting on my right leg and tap with my right foot, I presume this is from years of playing drums. The first lesson I saw the teacher said that tapping with the right foot if you are playing with the guitar on the right leg is bad because it bumps the guitar up and down. However, I've found no real problems like that. I then watched the second lesson and the teacher stated that it doesnt really matter which foot you tap with just do what is comfortable.[br][br]Therefore, what I would like to know is should I try and tap with my left foot or just keep tapping with my right? I am sure I could start tapping with my left but it just feels so alien as my right foot is so hard wired to tap. If anyone could advise I would be very grateful and also are there any lessons on guitar tricks covering this topic?[br][br]Thanks again

[br]Tim

[/quote]
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/14/2019 4:27 pm

...and really, you're already tapping the foot that naturally wants to tap. It's your timekeeper, just roll with it. Your body is giving you a natural metronome. No matter the foot, it's a good thing.

# 4
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
01/14/2019 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

...and really, you're already tapping the foot that naturally wants to tap. It's your timekeeper, just roll with it. Your body is giving you a natural metronome. No matter the foot, it's a good thing.

Thanks Jeff!!!!!

Really appreciate it!

All the best

Tim

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
01/14/2019 10:51 pm

I'd agree with Christopher's final paragraph and Jeff Tim. I don't physically foot tap at all -instinctive timing all occurs in my head, but it's a personal thing I don't see any issue with either, as long as it doesn't impact adversly on your playing.

Whilst there are guidelines to which reason (in the logic sense) should be applied, right way, wrong way rigidity is a flawed dogma.

PS. Stumbled across this in my You Tube 'adventures' today. Check out George's right leg action throughout this clip. 👍😎 Hey! If it was OK for GH..... I'm still working on the " Oooooh!" and head shake. 🤣

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.