Quitting McDonalds

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/28/2002 1:51 am
after completing my first year at mcdonalds, i've decided to quit (I can't stand my bosses, they always yell at me). I am a slacker at work, but nonetheless i made $2000 this year, not bad for a 14 year old. i"ve spent every penny, except for about $150, and i'll be getting another check on friday, so i'll have $300 bucks to last a while.

I know im getting nowhere with this post, just wanted to let you guys know!

partially the reason is because i suck at working in general (i slack off like crazy), and part of it is because i hate my bosses (because i slack off), and part of it is because i have alot of nice guitar equipment (gibson les paul, fender '65 deluxe reverb, etc).

# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
10/28/2002 3:07 am
couldn't handle the pressure of being a fry distribution engineer eh?

i sympathize with you. i had to quit my job at target a few months ago. beside the fact that i really hated the job, they never told me when company policy was changed and would yell at me when i didn't do it.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
10/28/2002 3:28 pm
The Clown is a brutal taskmaster.............

Hey when you pick up that last check, tell your boss, "I'll take that to go thank you"............

[Edited by pstring on 10-28-2002 at 09:30 AM]
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/29/2002 12:41 am
are there any guitar players here that are real hardcore workers? i mean, i don't know if its just me, but with work in general (besides guitar) i slack off like crazy. never ending slack job.

im probably gonna end up working for a grocery store next spring, just bum around over the winter.

didnt quit 'yet', im planning on it within the next week. its harder than you think...
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/29/2002 4:46 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
are there any guitar players here that are real hardcore workers? i mean, i don't know if its just me, but with work in general (besides guitar) i slack off like crazy. never ending slack job...
... and do you suppose that its easy to support yourself by playing guitar???
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/29/2002 5:52 am
I work in a pub three or four nights a week, and I work damn hard. When I am given a task to do, I do it well, because I don't see any point in slacking off. Of course, I quite like working at my pub, so i don't have as much reason to slack off. I do like to look around on a busy night and know that I am helping to make the place run very smoothly, which is why they continue to give me more and more responsibility. Yes, the reason why I work there is for the money, but I'd feel bad if I didn't put my all into it. After all, once you start finding it easy to slack off in one area of your life, where does it end?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
10/29/2002 10:16 pm
I have what I call a 'Laziness gene.' I sometimes dont feel like working at all and get extremely lazy. At the moment I'm a university student and don't work a job for cash (I've got enough from the jobs I worked from last september to this august.) Sometimes I just lie on my bed and read magazines and ignore my currently punishing homework load, but most of the time I'm disciplined enough to get everything done to a good standard. When it comes to the guitar I do as much or as little a day as I feel like doing.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/29/2002 11:58 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
are there any guitar players here that are real hardcore workers? i mean, i don't know if its just me, but with work in general (besides guitar) i slack off like crazy. never ending slack job...
... and do you suppose that its easy to support yourself by playing guitar???

when i meant diehard workers, i meant, like bardsley said, workers who don't slack off. Im a slacker, as far as work is concerned. i wasn't always this way, only until i realized that it didnt matter if i slacked off or not, i got payed the same...

# 8
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
10/30/2002 12:26 am
that my friend is the american work ethic
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

# 9
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
10/31/2002 12:19 am
Im a med student here...so slacking off cost me $40, 000 american a year. Job wise however i have no time for and the worst part is i havent touched my guitar in 2 weeks...:(
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/31/2002 8:58 am
Life is work,my friend.
If you're going to succeed at anything(including making money from that guitar of yours which you apparently don't consider to be work),you'll have to sweat it.
Ask around.Look at the websites of your favourite musicians.Listen to what they have to say about being in this industry.Then you'll see what lays ahead of you.Assuming that's the way you want to go.
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
10/31/2002 11:25 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid
Life is work,my friend.
If you're going to succeed at anything(including making money from that guitar of yours which you apparently don't consider to be work),you'll have to sweat it.
Ask around.Look at the websites of your favourite musicians.Listen to what they have to say about being in this industry.Then you'll see what lays ahead of you.Assuming that's the way you want to go.

work may be your life, but it certainly isnt mine. By all means, "Work" is definitely not playing guitar. The moment you think that guitar is "work" and not "play" is the moment it would lose its touch.

how many 14 year olds have held a steady job since they turned 14 (in america, thats the youngest you can work), and made over $2000 working 2 days a week? "You'll have to sweat it" oh c'mon man, i've already sweated it, and i came out with a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Gibson Les Paul, for chrissakes.

I quit today (well, 2 weeks notice). they were very unhappy at that, and i know the next two weekends wont be fun...:(
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/01/2002 12:55 am
Boy are you in for a shock !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
11/01/2002 2:10 am
i didn't say i wasn't getting another job...

i just happened to be quitting my current job. in a few months, im going to get a job at a grocery store, like i said.

i don't even really need to be working, thats my whole point. when you were 14 years old, i highly doubt you were raking in over $2000 in a year.
# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/01/2002 7:49 am
...work may be your life, but it certainly isnt mine...

I said life is work.I didn't say work is life.There's a difference.If you don't see it,ask your grammar teacher.Or mom,dad,friend,cousin,whoever.And that is not an insult.Everybody asks about stuff they don't understand.

...By all means, "Work" is definitely not playing guitar...

Playing the guitar is not work.Fine.But making money out of playing guitar is work.Again I'm not trying to be cryptic.

..."You'll have to sweat it" oh c'mon man, i've already sweated it...

If you've already sweated it out,then why are you saying you slack off?Or I'm I the one who isn't getting it this time?Doesn't slack off mean not finish your work,not do it well,generally bored by work,stuff like that?

And now,incidents;
This may not mean sh!t to you,but there're lots of people who wish they were in your shoes.You probably read about these things in CNN or from UN reports,but a lot of people where I'm from(Sub saharan africa)earn under a dollar a day.And they're not 14 yr olds schoolkids with able parent and all,they are men and women with families.You say that in America,14 yrs is the youngest you're allowed to work.Here in Kenya,finding work at any age is a problem.
Live your life.If work is boring you,fine.Your life is all about you.Live it like you wanna.You have the freedom.But next time you feel like slacking off,think about the people who'd want to be like you.So fine,even if you don't slack off,it doesn't help them.Fine.But let that thought tip toe thro your mind.Learn to appreciate what you got.
BTW,I envy you.Your guitars and stuff,ie.Coz all I got is an acoustic I bought for the equivalent of about 50$,so you can imagine how good it's quality is and all.But I'll get more stuff.In due course.
Posts like these make me feel old.I'm 23,going to 24 next feb.Maybe I am growing up.
# 15
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
11/03/2002 1:18 pm
work may be your life, but it certainly isnt mine. By all means, "Work" is definitely not playing guitar. The moment you think that guitar is "work" and not "play" is the moment it would lose its touch.
[/B]

Why can it not be both? The way I see it you have to 'work' at the guitar in order to be able to get to the 'play' idea of it. And for those of you who interpret 'work' as 'business,' playing the guitar sure as hell is a form of business...if you approach it the right way you can make good money from your music.

And think of this: whether you're a pro or not, if you've financed a lot of nice gear out of your day job, be it the career job you love or a supermarket job you took in order buy your dream guitar, then why should you're audience not give you something back for getting on stage and using that gear?

I'm not against free gigs by any means....I'm doing one myself this evening...its how you get yourself known and meet some other musicians, and above everything else its fun, but there are a lot of musicians who wont put any effort into promoting themselves and making any money from it, the kind who are prepared to do it for free too often because they love to do it....if you can deliver music thats worth seeing then people will pay for it because these days most people acknowledge that entertainment it not free.
# 16
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/04/2002 6:17 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
...and hell, my parents haven't been behind me since I was 13 anyway...

People tend to take a lot of these things for granted.
You know how Buddha became what he became?
Legend has it he was some protected prince living in some palace.Until he sneaked out and saw what was going on in the real world.
If it wasn't Buddha,it was some founder of a certain religion or religious doctrine or something.
# 17
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
11/06/2002 7:56 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid
You know how Buddha became what he became?
Legend has it he was some protected prince living in some palace.Until he sneaked out and saw what was going on in the real world.
If it wasn't Buddha,it was some founder of a certain religion or religious doctrine or something. [/B]

The guy you're thinking of was called Sidhatta Ghittama....excuse the spelling its been years since i needed to speel that name in religious ed. class.
# 18
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/07/2002 6:30 am
That would be Sidhama Gautama or something.I'm sure I'm closer than you are.
I think it was The Buddha,just that this is what he was called before he became Buddha.I'll look it up and confirm.
# 19
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/07/2002 10:58 pm
Buddha is a title after he acheived Nirvana

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.