Neck change sound?

Tomas E
Tomas E
06/19/2019 12:28 am

This question might be stupid but well i ask anyway :). Every electric guitar do have it`s sound based on factors like body material, sustain, pickups etc etc. I wonder do the neck also matter for a sertain sound or is it only the body and pickups? To take a example let us play with the idea to put on a ibanez wizard neck on a stratocaster how would that effect the sound on the strat? a wizard neck have 24 frets so you get more frets then a original strat neck. This is nothing i plan im just courious and interested in what you think on it.

# 1
bbriant
bbriant
06/19/2019 8:57 am

the type of wood comes into it a lot and wether it is a bolt on or set neck.

I have 2 lp copies both with mahogany necks both set necks the substain on them is great.

I have tried an Epiphone LP style with a bolt on neck not great.

So if you put a fender neck on a les paul body or vis-versa I dont think it works

more frets I would think would only increase the amount of octaves on the guitar but thats only a guess?

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2019 11:53 am
Originally Posted by: Tomas EI wonder do the neck also matter for a sertain sound or is it only the body and pickups?[/quote]

The wood used for the neck & fretboard can make a difference. The biggest factors are pickups, amp & player technique.

But assuming all other things are equal, you can notice for example rosewood is a little softer & rounder (muted highs & pronounced mids), maple is a little brighter (sharp high end).

This tutorial demonstrates some of the different neck types.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=653

[quote=Tomas E]To take a example let us play with the idea to put on a ibanez wizard neck on a stratocaster how would that effect the sound on the strat? a wizard neck have 24 frets so you get more frets then a original strat neck.

Those particular necks are not interchangable! :) There are a few factors that determine if necks are interchangable.

1. Guitar scale or string length.

Some guitars have longer string lengths than others & if you swapped necks the frets would be the wrong distance or location & the notes would not sound correctly! For example most Fenders are 25.5", while Gibsons are 24.75".

2. Neck length & shape.

An Ibanez neck with 24 frets is longer that a Fender 21 fret. So the neck pocket on the body is cut deeper on an Ibanez to compensate. Most Ibanez are the same scale length as Fenders but if you put a Wizard on a Strat, again, the frets would be in the wrong place because the neck pocket is cut to a different depth.

3. Neck width & depth.

Necks come in many different widths & thicknesses! Those are matched to very specific neck pockets & body shapes.

So, while it's possible to swap some necks, there are factors that make it not possible. Case by case basis! Having said that I've spent a lot of time over the years swapping necks on Strats. :)

There's a whole market for companies that make replacement parts & they have lots of great info on this topic (Mighty Mite, StewMac, Warmoth).

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.