Intro course is mind numbing

JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
07/20/2019 10:03 pm

I am a relative newbie I can play a few chords but I find the intro course so boring I cant bring myself to watch the lessons. I enquired about the content of the introductory course and was told to try experienced not helpful. Don’t think this site is for me.

Where's all the songs by British Bands?? The Smiths. Joy Division. Echo and the Bunnymen. PiL.

# 1
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
07/21/2019 4:27 am

How far into Fundamentals are you?

# 2
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
07/21/2019 7:36 am

I’ve just finished chapter 4

Where's all the songs by British Bands?? The Smiths. Joy Division. Echo and the Bunnymen. PiL.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2019 2:56 pm
Originally Posted by: treatedbadly

I am a relative newbie I can play a few chords but I find the intro course so boring I cant bring myself to watch the lessons. I enquired about the content of the introductory course and was told to try experienced not helpful. Don’t think this site is for me.

Why do you find it boring? If it's because you already know the skills & ideas covered, then you could just skip ahead to Fundamentals 2.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2

If it's because of the teaching style you could try my older Fundamentals courses for a different approach to beginner material.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=guitarfundamentals1v1(discontinued)

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
07/21/2019 4:41 pm

I'm not too far ahead of you, working on songs in different keys, and I love the carefully thought-out progression and content of Lisa's lessons. When it occasionally gets a little talky for my taste, I just watch at 2x speed and slow it down as necessary.

# 5
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
JohnPaulGeorgeRingo
Full Access
07/21/2019 7:56 pm

Thank you for the reply I will give it a go

# 6
jgul54
Full Access
jgul54
Full Access
07/23/2019 10:46 pm
Originally Posted by: treatedbadly

Just hit the next lesson button! I do it all the time. Caution, though. It seems like every time I think I know the lesson material and reach for the advance buton, Lisa throws out a golden nugget of something I did not know before. LoL.

# 7
edguitarnewbie
edguitarnewbie
07/26/2019 2:20 am

I disagree...Despite having had a lot of the basics from in person guitar lessons, I still found a lot of value in the fundamentals courses. I found them to be more clear and ordered properly than the instructor I had been seeing. I also skipped lessons when I felt they weren't necessary.

# 8
Socrates6
Socrates6
07/30/2019 12:14 pm

I am 3/4 of the way thru Fundamentals 1 and really enjoying learning (on my electric). The course is great and i feel good about my progress....the only thing i find a bit mind numbing though are the songs. Not in terms of of their purpose...but the songs themselves. I guess because i dont listen to folk music i cannot get myself to learn them...so instead i find myself just coming up with my own rhytyms and just practice chord changes ...and skip the songs

Socrates

# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/30/2019 2:35 pm
Originally Posted by: Socrates6

I am 3/4 of the way thru Fundamentals 1 and really enjoying learning (on my electric). The course is great and i feel good about my progress....the only thing i find a bit mind numbing though are the songs. Not in terms of of their purpose...but the songs themselves. I guess because i dont listen to folk music i cannot get myself to learn them...so instead i find myself just coming up with my own rhytyms and just practice chord changes ...and skip the songs

When I was ten I wanted a guitar. Instead, my mother determined to teach me piano. The one memory that sticks out from that period... "Three Blind Mice."

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 10
Socrates6
Socrates6
07/30/2019 10:43 pm

LOL...Three Blind Mice would have made me give up piano too!

Socrates

# 11
scottcates
scottcates
08/04/2019 4:34 pm

I'm a semi-newbie too.....here's my advice: don't get too stuck on the some of the early lessons and repetitive chord practice sequences but take some time to pick a favorite song - one that seriously moves you - and learn a few of it's intro or baic chords and moves and play it....enen if even poorly.

I found that taking a day or two a week to chase a few guilty pleasures breaks the tedium and retuns much satisfaction of why I'm really here. Frankly, I don't get too far on most of them, but have realistic expectations....we're newbies playing stuff by millionaires who got that way by being talented, generally starting in their teens, and likely practicing the discipline 8 hours a day.

Divert from the course and chase a song or two from the excellent instructional library here. Have some rock-n-roll ice cream along the way with that lesson broccoli.

# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/05/2019 2:40 pm
Originally Posted by: scottcates

...take some time to pick a favorite song - one that seriously moves you - and learn a few of it's intro or baic chords and moves and play it...

Divert from the course and chase a song or two from the excellent instructional library here. Have some rock-n-roll ice cream along the way with that lesson broccoli.

Speaking of 'ice cream' and chords...

A little music trivia -- Do a web search on "ice cream chords" or "ice cream progression." I don't know the origin of the term but for a very long time the progression of I vi IV V, e.g., C Am F G (or G7), has been referred to as "ice cream". If one wants to open up hundreds, if not thousands of songs to play, have some "ice cream."

Have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 13
manXcat
manXcat
08/05/2019 10:52 pm

Hazarding a deductive guess at the relevant etymology of that phrase john of MT, I'd say it's because like a G Em C D verse with C D G Em chorus in common with C Am F G verse and F G C Am chorus, they're both simple, easy to play, ubiquitious progressions which like ice cream are essentially the same product which can be represented in multitude of different flavours which almost [u]everyone[/u] (the lay ear) loves.

# 14
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/06/2019 12:22 am

"Sweet and familiar" explained one page I saw about the ice cream progression.

-- Chet Atkins
# 15
manXcat
manXcat
08/06/2019 12:56 am

I'd never heard or read of the phrase "ice cream chords" until your mention of it. It does sound to me like it was coined by someone trying to sound deprecatingly cool. Regardless, choosing ice cream as the reference is suggestive of US origin. Had it originated from the UK or Commonwealth in the past, 'bread 'n butter' would be the more likely euphemism. Not deprecating, just to the point honest.

I like both progressions.

And undeniably pleasing to the ear they are.

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.