Odd problem with fingering strings accurately

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
07/25/2019 4:24 am

I notice that when I try to come down on a string with my finger more or less perpendicular to the fretboard, the curve of my fingertip frequently causes my finger to slide to one side or the other of the string. However, if I press down on the string with my finger at an angle to the fretboard, a flatter section of my finger comes in contact with the string and my finger stays put. Unfortuneately, that makes it more likely that I am going to be brushing against adjacent strings. I believe the problem is worse now that I have callused fingertips because they are less grippy than a fleshy fingertip. The problem also appears to be worse on the thicker strings. I believe this is easier for my fingertip to be indented and surround a narrow string and not, therefore, slip to either side of the string. I'm wondering if anyone else recalls having this problem and, if so, what you did. I am wondering for example if coated strings are more slippery and therefore might be accentuating the problem. I am also wondering about some sort of finger tack to make my fingertips more grippy. Bank tellers use something like this to count money I believe.

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2019 7:24 pm

Good detailed description of the problem - thank you!

So, yes, coated strings are quite a bit slipperier than non-coated strings. That may be the culprit. It sounds like you are on the path to getting the skinnier strings to cooperate with your fingertips. So hopefully if you swapped out all the "wound" strings with non-coated, you should be able to get better grip.

Thinking about your description, I also wonder if you may be actually pressing harder than you need to, to get the tone to ring out from the note. Experiment with lightening up your touch just a bit and see if that makes you less likely to roll off one side or the other. Just a thought.

Personally I'd steer away from any kind of fingertip goop because it would end up accumulating on the strings and dulling their sound.

Hope this helps! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.