Sock Pow Zok!!

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
01/29/2020 10:58 pm

Trying to learn the original Batman TV theme - kind of a surfy bluesy number. As a short TV show theme, it's a bit monotonous and benefits from some ornamentation. This is provided, in part, by musical (or at least auditory) accompaniment to Sock Pow Zok at seconds 10-11, Pow Bif Bam Sok Blap at 31"-32", and Whap Biff Oooof at 33"-34". See accompanying video. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what chords might sound right here? I don't even care if they're correct, just usable in terms of capturing the vibe. I'm not even sure if what's in the video are chords. To my untrained ear, they sounds a bit like notes from a brass instrumentor from a car horn (which as I understand it are usually 2 notes).

For 20 bonus points (Whose Line is it Anyway points), can anyone figure out what the notes are between seconds 4 and 5 in the same video. I've listened to it slowed down and still can't quite figure it out. I'm not even sure I can tell how many notes there are. My best guess is something like G(1st string 3rd fret), G#, G, F, D#, G+D.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/31/2020 2:11 pm

Fun tune! A lot of those horn parts to accompany the punches are tone clusters: very closely voiced notes.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeThis is provided, in part, by musical (or at least auditory) accompaniment to Sock Pow Zok at seconds 10-11[/quote]

For example the first one sounds like a D followed by a G & F.

|-----------------|[br]|-------8--------|[br]|--7---10-------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

After that a 3 note cluster with the minor 3rd on top!

|-------6--------|[br]|-------8--------|[br]|------10-------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

Those are written an octave higher than the horn part in order to make them somewhat playable on guitar. :)[br]

Originally Posted by: dlwalkePow Bif Bam Sok Blap at 31"-32" and Whap Biff Oooof at 33"-34"[/quote]

A little more buried & tricky in the mix. Maybe?

|------------3----|[br]|------3----6----|[br]|------5---------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|[br]|-----------------|

Then.

|------------3-----6------|[br]|------3----6-----8------|[br]|------5-----------10----|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|

You can probably simplify some of that down to major 2nds & minor 3rd with an overdriven tone.

|------------------6-----|[br]|------3---8------8-----|[br]|------5---10-----------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|[br]|-------------------------|

[quote=dlwalke]To my untrained ear, they sounds a bit like notes from a brass instrumentor from a car horn (which as I understand it are usually 2 notes).

Sure! You've got the idea! There might be an orchestral score out there somewhere that has the actual notation! I did a quick Google search & found only these MIDI file versions. And I'm not even sure how accurate they are. But they seem to capture the same basic idea that I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUe22aEuHE

[quote=dlwalke]For 20 bonus points (Whose Line is it Anyway points), can anyone figure out what the notes are between seconds 4 and 5 in the same video. I've listened to it slowed down and still can't quite figure it out. I'm not even sure I can tell how many notes there are. My best guess is something like G(1st string 3rd fret), G#, G, F, D#, G+D.

That sounds like this to me.

|--------------------------------------------|[br]|--------------------------------------------|[br]|--12--13--12--11--10--11--12-------|[br]|--12--13--12--11--10--11--12-------|

|--------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------|

Interestingly, the piano MIDI version repeats that basically twice. Maybe that's a different version?

Anyway, hope that helps! Have fun with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/01/2020 2:37 am

Holy bat ears Chris. Awesome. I've been working on this, on and off, for the last few weeks, listening in slow-mo and so on, and although I felt I had made some progress, I had clearly reached the point of diminishing returns. Appreciate your assistance!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2020 4:15 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Appreciate your assistance!

You're welcome! Some of those older recordings are hard to pick apart for details. Get as close as possible, then play something that captures the basic idea. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.