Left hand pinky problem

prlondon
prlondon
02/03/2020 2:45 pm

Hi all

I'm sure that this will have been mentioned by others but having an issue with the pinky. Now mine actually doesn't work due to a tendon issue (can't straighten it).

How much of an issue will this become going forward? I've been trying to force the 2,3,4 G without any luck in the hope that after zero use for twenty plus years it would spring to life (it didn't).

I'm only in Fundamentals One Chapter 5 but am concerned that as I move forward the pinky will come more into play. Are there alternative fretting methods shown in the tutorials for more advanced chords?

Bit frustrated at the moment but still plugging away at the chord changes. Slow and steady.....

Really appreciate the community.

Paul

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/03/2020 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by: prlondon

Hi all

I'm sure that this will have been mentioned by others but having an issue with the pinky. Now mine actually doesn't work due to a tendon issue (can't straighten it).

How much of an issue will this become going forward? I've been trying to force the 2,3,4 G without any luck in the hope that after zero use for twenty plus years it would spring to life (it didn't).

I'm only in Fundamentals One Chapter 5 but am concerned that as I move forward the pinky will come more into play. Are there alternative fretting methods shown in the tutorials for more advanced chords?

Bit frustrated at the moment but still plugging away at the chord changes. Slow and steady.....

Really appreciate the community.

Paul

You can do it.

It may not be easy but you'll find ways to work around it. People have a number of issues with their hands and not at all uncommon amongst guitarist. Though not to the extent that you are experiening, my index finger has been a bit comprimised from what it 'used to be'. My 'shredding' skill ain;t what it used to be but still not bad.

For that matter, things just happen when ya get older soooooo.........Guitar playing is always a series of adjustments.

Also, it is kind of a standard answer when people of legit concerns about dexterity issues but; go watch a video of Django Reinhart. He played with two functioning fingers of his left hand. Two. He ripped. He'd lost control of the other fingers due to a fire but learned and adjusted.

Figure it this way; you're one up on Django!

Moral of the story is; it may not be an ideal situation but you can overcome and enjoy playing.

Good luck!!

# 2
prlondon
prlondon
02/03/2020 4:30 pm

Thanks Jeff will have a look.

Not one for giving up so a solution will be found.

Paul

# 3
Slacksixx
Slacksixx
02/07/2020 7:41 am

I feel your pain.. I picked up one of those finger exercise trainers and I try to warm up my hand/fingers before practice, just a couple of minutes, and after months, my pinky is a lot stronger. If you get one of the trainers, go for the weakest one, I made the mistake of going for number 2 and it's pretty strong for the pinky.

you can also try to practice barre chords, leave your index finger as a floater, use the other three fingers for forming open chords. Eventually, you will be able to transition from open chords to barre chords fairly quickly with your pinky being a key player in the process. That worked for me while keeping my interest level.

its a journey brother, sometimes it's major but often it's minor 😂

# 4
prlondon
prlondon
02/07/2020 8:17 am

Hey Slacksixx

Been working on trying to move the little fella and there is some life in it. So will take your kind advice and get finger squatting.

Keep the guitar related puns coming!

Paul

# 5
robin79noordh
robin79noordh
02/08/2020 10:40 pm

I also have some problem with my left pinky, week and also bent abit to the left.

made it work for chords but working on getting it working with the rest of my fingers during solos, riffs and fills.

I Also bought a finger trainer and it's made my fingers stronger.. still got a bent pinky though 😋.

I use it when driving to work or just watching tv .

There is some exersises with Lisa like spiderfingers that might be good if you have'nt tryed them, made a differens for me.

Good luck

Robin

# 6
bbriant
bbriant
02/09/2020 10:48 am

Hi my fretting pinky is locked in an L shape so I have trouble with chords i have to stretch for usually 13th and 11th but some chords are easier to play for me because I dont need any muscle to play them 6th and 7th down the neck.

But when I want to learn a song or riff I sometimes need to improvise.

I am trying to learn Jazz at the moment ahd there is plenty of scope to improvise.

just try to find what you can play and dont worry about it as you get better you will find work arounds for most things you cannot do.

Hope this helps

Barry

# 7
dwood1
dwood1
02/11/2020 10:03 pm

I was just in the Guitar Toolbox (in the chord finder) where there are tabs of every chord PLUS variations. You might check that out.

I'm new to the course and I've only been at it a couple of months but finding that it's just like the saying goes........."Repetition is the mother of skill"[br]My pinky is awkward as hell. It flies all over the place and seems to have mind of its own but working hard to get the little sucker to cooperate. Feels like my hands and mind are finding a way to get there.....I hope.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.