One finger per fret

lee.mynatt52
lee.mynatt52
06/25/2020 8:45 pm

My question is for Lisa. Watching a lot of your major scale videos I notice you have a tendency of instead of using one f8nger per fret to shifting as you go from string to string. Just a personal preference ? I find myself shifting to follow you and it just seems awkward after practicing one per fret for awhile. Love your videos though. Am progressing quickly

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/25/2020 9:25 pm

Hey Lee, this isn't in Lisa's forum so I'll answer.

One finger per fret is very good fundamental discipline to learn. It builds strength and agility, stretches those hands out, gets the muscle memory going.

Once you develop that basic skill you'll start breaking that rule and playing what best fits the piece of music and is efficient (but also what happens to feel good for you!). I find that when I get comfortable with a piece of music and start "rocking out" I will get very loose with all of that and even play whole phrases with one finger.

To sum it up, one finger per fret is an important "training wheel" you should stick to until you feel ready to ride wheelies around the block. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.