Is it just me?

jadaldouglas
jadaldouglas
11/30/2020 10:44 pm

Am I alone when I say I have gotten pretty good with the frets but the actual strumming and switching between e and b without looking is so hard! I keep missing and losing my place while playing along. Am I supposed to stay on one lesson until I completely master it while playing along with the band?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
12/01/2020 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: jadaldouglas

Am I alone when I say I have gotten pretty good with the frets but the actual strumming and switching between e and b without looking is so hard! [/quote][p]

It'd be helpful to know which song you are referencing with this question in order to help you as best possible solution.

Link?

Tempo?

"Is it just me?"

Changing chords from one to another is the next challenge after learning to form the chord/s. Doing so fluently, consistently with reasonable accuracy the next. Doing so at tempo within the structure of a song the next. Doing so with the correct strum pattern, timing and its emphasis next. Looking at the fretboard is entirely natural for beginners and many beyond beginner. As for not looking, eventually when you've performed sufficient repetition and developed rote acquired familiarity combined with confidence, you won't be looking at the fretboard most of the time other than as anchor reference occasionally. One step at a time, and it'll all come together in time.

And E to [u]Bmaj[/u]? Really?

Bmaj isn't a very common chord in popular pop song progressions (respectvely vs Bm) , the first form voicing of which is a barre chord and arguably difficult (three finger compressed within a single fret) fingering unless using a single ring finger with some flexibility and control dexterity reguired to avoid either muting or sounding (inadvertently fretting) the high e string adding a G# note in the chord as most play it, but is still a skill generally beyond and not taught a novitiate beginner per se. There is a (cheat) open strings 1-4 only version which can be used in lieu. You might be referring to this?

[quote=jadaldouglas]I keep missing and losing my place while playing along. Am I supposed to stay on one lesson until I completely master it while playing along with the band?

I'll answer your other general question which I perceive is really a statement seeking affirmation with a question.

Why do you want to move on if you can't demonstrate to yourself accomplishment with the lesson objective? Of course, you already know the answer.

My take. Any beginner lesson objective isn't expected to be accomplished to a degree of perfect (i.e. literally master), but it's pointless/contrary to purpose moving on until you can demonstrate to yourself you have achieved a consistent reasonable degree of acceptable competency. Not to do so out of either frustration or boredom with repetition is never valid reason in my book unless failure and endless frustration is the ultimate objective, appreciating OMMV.

So stick with it, and relieve the boredom/frustration with some [u]short breaks[/u] diverted to another lesson activity if you must, but don't skip something because you're finding it difficult or don't enjoy it. Just like your parents said, "Eat your greens!". You know they're good for you and an essential part of a 'balanced diet' even if they're not your favourite part of the meal.

[br]All the best.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.