Basic Finger Strumming

Darst
Darst
12/16/2020 4:54 am

Hello,

I'm on Lisa McCormick's Roll Like Water beginners lesson right now. When I practice/learn in general I like to alternate between using electric and acoustic guitar, and also sometimes using a pick and sometimes strumming with my index finger.

I looked around GuitarTricks and couldn't find anything conclusive on basic finger strumming. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Realized today that my index fingernail was whittled way down on one side so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong? Should I be strumming with my fingertip and no nail? I'm using my thumb on the base note and then index finger on the other chord notes.

Thanks.

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/16/2020 9:57 am

look on the channel tab at the top of the page.

A couple of instructors have single lessons to try ro explain alternatives .

I also struggle, especially with upstrokes. Anders, Caren and Gary have lessons

similar video's on youtube or try googling. Justin Guitar does a reasonable tutorial.

All seems very experimental.

Fingers, thumb, finger and thumb, ghost pick

I use a pick when practicing but still spend 5 minutes trying to find a finger strumming style that works for me.

Also noodle a bit with finger picking, google tends to include finger picking in searches for finger strumming.

It is improving. I think as beginners we tend to be a bit heavy handed and our fingers dig in.

I know my strumming improved by using the thinnest pick I could find

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Dave

# 2
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
Susan_Montgomery
Full Access
12/16/2020 10:24 am

I have the same issue with my nail on one side so I'm eager to hear others' responses.

I rarely use a pick now because I've become so accustomed to using my fingers. After watching some of Caren's song tutorials on here, I've started adopting her way of strumming which is to use more than one finger (or at least it appears so). She also has a "Better Strumming" tutorial that is really good and I think that goes into what fingers to use. I just watched that the other day and she also shows you how to kinda roll your wrist when you do the upstrokes.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 3
Darst
Darst
12/16/2020 4:20 pm

Thanks Dave and Susan,

Both of your posts were really helpful.

Susan - wanted to share that I came across a forum response by Lisa McCormick about Fred Kelly Freedom Finger Picks that you may want to check out - she uses them. Lots of positive reviews on amazon and youtube. I just ordered some to try out myself.

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/17/2020 4:55 pm

It is going to be difficult to make a consistant sound when your up stroke is a fleshy finger tip and the down stroke is a finger nail. Maybe the answer for consistant finger sound is to work on actual finger picking, where you exclusivly use your finger tips, mostly with up strokes. This is much more difficult to learn, but the notes will at least sound consistant. This technique is used by many guitar virtuosos, both accoustic and electric. This is an advanced skill, but maybe this is what you are looking for.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/17/2020 6:27 pm

No Snojones

It is guidance towards finger strumming I am talking about.

I am practicing the beginnings of finger picking.

Both Lisa and Anders provide some patterns. Knopfler ,Emmanuel. Strings and Tuttles are definitely virtuosos in this art.

But I am struggling to make any useful kind of strumming never mind to master strumming.

The advice is generally for beginners to use a pick as it allows progress to be made.

Everybody seems to make up and down finger strumming in various rythms and patterns look so very easy.

I do 5 minutes at a time, trying various methods.

Downstrokes not so bad, upstrokes of any kind more bad than good.

It is getting better and I am leaning towards the ghost picking and thumb down index up.

All a work in progress

Thanks Dave

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/18/2020 12:04 pm

Just rewatched some Caren Armstrong lessons

Easy song by Jewel ,,, Who will save my soul.

Has a section titled The Strum and has a lovely inset showing Caren rolling her right hand to get the even tone she is looking for.

Lesson sections.

click on Caren Armstrong on the instructor section.

Title is Better Strumming

1st section explains her right hand motion.

Gary Heeimbauer has a lesson on the Channel section

tips for better strumming

Same for Anders

He has a finger strumming section in Acoustic level 1.

I believe he explains using the ghost pick shape

Dave

# 7
vg2886004
vg2886004
12/30/2020 9:55 am

Most beginners should start with a pick before attempting to strum without. And, if you know how to do it one way, you can always learn the other. But strumming without a pick can allow you more control over your strumming and help you gain access to more tonal possibilities too.

myfordbenefits

# 8
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/30/2020 4:21 pm

To see how far a finger strummer can go... look up the video "Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts"!! It is not accoustic guitar but it is exceptional guitar.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 9
niall.magner
niall.magner
03/06/2021 9:06 pm

I am just starting to learn to play the acoustic guitar and I have problems with strumming by following Lisa McCormick's videos. My problem is that when I stum down with my pick my index finger always seem to get in the way for smooth strumming.

C an anyone give me some guidance?

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.