Finger Joint Pain

jeongminc.jm
jeongminc.jm
02/07/2021 3:37 pm

Hi, this is Day 33 of my learning guitar. I've been consistently playing for the past month or so everyday (some days much more intensely than others), but last week after one of my more intense days of practicing, I began to experience pain in my middle finger joints (the main joint) for all four of my fingers, especially when I bend them. I also have a pain when I put pressure on the top of those joints. They feel oddly "chilly" when left alone. I've never had finger related pain or arthritis (curr. 24 yrs old) so I'm not sure what to do.

Should I stop playing for a few days? Is this just a pain that my fingers will get used to if I keep pushing forward? And if I stop playing, should I keep my fingers straightened? How else can I "practice" without actually playing? Thanks.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/07/2021 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jeongminc.jm

Hi, this is Day 33 of my learning guitar. I've been consistently playing for the past month or so everyday (some days much more intensely than others), but last week after one of my more intense days of practicing, I began to experience pain in my middle finger joints (the main joint) for all four of my fingers, especially when I bend them. I also have a pain when I put pressure on the top of those joints. They feel oddly "chilly" when left alone. I've never had finger related pain or arthritis (curr. 24 yrs old) so I'm not sure what to do.

Should I stop playing for a few days? Is this just a pain that my fingers will get used to if I keep pushing forward? And if I stop playing, should I keep my fingers straightened? How else can I "practice" without actually playing? Thanks.

I have chronic pain that I have to deal with reguarly, and my gauge for finger/ wrist/ forearm pain is the next day. If I get pain that lasts beyond the day I first noticed it, I take a break. I don't go back until the pain subsides.

You are young and will heal faster than I do but I think the "No pain the next day or no guitar" is a pretty good rule of thumb for assessing guitar related pain. It is natural for muscles and joints to get sore if you push them hard. But that kind of pain usually goes away by the next day. Pain that lasts beyond the first day should indicate that it is a good idea to take a break until that pain is gone.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/08/2021 7:55 pm
Originally Posted by: jeongminc.jm

You want to consider that even people who lift weights to build and rip muscles do so in a circuit and take breaks with certain muscle group.

I've never bought the idea that you must suffer through something to play guitar. Whether it be achy fingers or the 'played until the bled' deal, anyone who says they did is mostly lying. You are on a longterm journey and treat your hands accordingly.

If your joints ache (specifically joints), you need to consider two things:

(1) Not playing when they ache. Your body is telling your that you have inflamation and that's never good. Pushing it will only make it worse. When it does happen, it's good to take an OTC anti-inflamitory to take that down. Joints a r a different deal that just your regular muscle aches.

(2) Be sure that you are playing ergonomically correct. Sure, you see a lot of old rock star with guitars slung down low and when you get there and want to do that, knock yourself out. However, at the early stage, just make sure that you're placing the guitar so that you are not straining. That means your fingers, your wrists, your elbows and even your back. I'm sure you've watched the ergonomic video in the Fundementals series but it's a good review.

I've been playing a long time and in recent years, I've had a few bouts with both my index finger joints becoming sore and inflamed. To the point where it can affect the grip of the other fingers. Unrelated but it does have to do with various activities and that inflamed those knuckles. I stop playing guitar as it's better to not mess with my fingers.

We did a video for my church where I accompanied my in-laws with the First Noel. It was right at the end of one of the bouts and on my left hand no less! I could play but it took a little focus. I've rewatched it and thought I did it nice and clean, I could see what others could not; my concentration to do so. I opened with the song melody in a single string 'lead' and it pains me to watch because I can tell I'm really working to get a couple of fretboard slides done cleanly. The rest of the song is nice easy cowboy chords...unless you're finger hurts. During Christmas this year, my wife and I rewatched and my wife was kinda goofing on me about looking so serious.

So, the point is that when you feel that joint pain, don't mess with it. Give yourself some time to let the inflamation mellow and be sure yiu're playing in a way that does not put strain on you.

# 3
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
02/08/2021 8:46 pm

You are on day 33 of doing something intensively that you haven't done before and your body is reacting. There is probably some compensatory inflammation.

You are young and heal faster than @snojones does. (And a lot younger than I!!! ). His "No pain the next day or no guitar" is probably a good suggesion. Some will argue that you should have a guitar in your hands every day! If you don't want to go a day without practice, when you have those days of pain, make it a very minimal workout.

Also for inflammation, there's always a brief round non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID's), like ibuprofen. Take it with food. And check with your primary care provider on this. Your body is warning you about what I said at the beginning. But you got the message so there nothing wrong now with quieting the message.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.