unplayed string ringing

johns33031
Full Access
johns33031
Full Access
10/05/2021 8:06 pm

Hi all - Suddenly things seem to have clicked for me and I am able to change chords, make up melodies, play more cleanly. Playing an Ibanez Acoustic electric with steel wound stings. Started using a small amp as things began to come together-- Problem: . Ive noticed that sometimes unplayed strings- usually the A I think -- will ring out. and continue to vibrate, muddying the sound- any thoughts? Thanks John

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
10/05/2021 9:46 pm

I started out with an Ibanez acoustic myself. Nice guitars. As for your problem with strings ringing that can be solved by just muting the string but If your just starting out I wouldn't worry too much about it right now as that technique will be taught to you in later courses. Check your tuning too, maybe it's tweaked a bit too high and that's why your hearing it. Also your amp will amplify imperfections so try unplugged. Good luck. [br][br]

moe

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2021 11:14 am
Originally Posted by: johns33031

Hi all - Suddenly things seem to have clicked for me and I am able to change chords, make up melodies, play more cleanly.[/quote]

Sounds like progress! Congrats!

[quote=johns33031]Ive noticed that sometimes unplayed strings- usually the A I think -- will ring out. and continue to vibrate, muddying the sound- any thoughts?

Muting will fix this. You have to find a way to use the palm of your fretting hand, or the fingertips of your fretting hand to mute strings you do not want to ring. Muting is an extra layer of refinement in technique that you have to add after you can get notes to sound.

I have a standalone tutorial focused completely on muting issues. The first couple lesson in the tutorial are aimed at beginner level muting.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2281

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.