View post (If a bracketed zero falls in the forest.....)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/04/2023 8:34 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi Sascha - apologies for the confusion on this. When you watch the video of me playing the song - check out the strumming hand. It's moving steadily and constantly in 16th notes (DUDU per beat.)  Other than the main strums (accents) of the song, it either doesn't strike the strings, or slightly strikes the strings in between. That's what those "ghost" strums in brackets are. I know this is subtle, but it's a natural thing that is happening once I play the strums up to tempo. It's kind of a groove/feel thing where I'm striking the strings in between the main strums/accents just to keep the groove going.

I really wish they included the strum direction (downs/ups) onto the transcription, as it might be a little clearer. Maybe it would help to write down the notation for that bar, and figure out the down ups of each group of 4 strums.  For example, Bar 4 above - the first beat would be D D U. Second beat would be U U. Third and Fourth beats are both D D U.

Hope this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

I took screenshots of the transcription, printed them out, and marked in the strum directions. You're right - that makes it much easier to learn to play in time and to improvise over. Thanks!

BTW, I turned up my computer speakers and let my mangy mutts listen to you play the tune >> no howling or barking! Just a few muffled woofs here and there, as if to cheer you on. Same thing when I play the radio version of the song. But when I played the same bars, all hell still breaks loose. It's like being repeatedly voted off a doggy version of "The Voice".... in my own home!

edited