If a bracketed zero falls in the forest.....

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/03/2023 6:57 pm

Hi again Mike,

As concerns "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow", there's one recurring bit of music notation that I can't figure out how to play, or rather, how you play it. I read another recently posted thread concerning this same subject matter that led me to believe that there isn't just one correct technique denoted.

Bracketed Notes

Zero Notes (2)

I slowed down the video of you playing the above sections (and a few other sections in the tutorial) but can't definitively determine how you are playing these "chords". The fact that this particular song accommodates (even invites) inexact strumming techniques and improvised ghost strums makes it all the more difficult to determine what to do with them. I just know that I like how it sounds when you play it and would like to imitate that sound.

Sometimes it appears that you simply don't address them at all, making me wonder whether that particular notation is a cue to just let the chord ring out (but why then represent that technique as dual sixteenth notes/chords?). Clearly, clarification and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sascha

edited
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/04/2023 6:55 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Hi again Mike,

As concerns "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow", there's one recurring bit of music notation that I can't figure out how to play, or rather, how you play it. I read another recently posted thread concerning this same subject matter that led me to believe that there isn't just one correct technique denoted.

Bracketed Notes

Zero Notes (2)

I slowed down the video of you playing the above sections (and a few other sections in the tutorial) but can't definitively determine how you are playing these "chords". The fact that this particular song accommodates (even invites) inexact strumming techniques and improvised ghost strums makes it all the more difficult to determine what to do with them. I just know that I like how it sounds when you play it and would like to imitate that sound.

Sometimes it appears that you simply don't address them at all, making me wonder whether that particular notation is a cue to just let the chord ring out (but why then represent that technique as dual sixteenth notes/chords?). Clearly, clarification and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sascha

Hi Sascha - apologies for the confusion on this. When you watch the video of me playing the song - check out the strumming hand. It's moving steadily and constantly in 16th notes (DUDU per beat.)  Other than the main strums (accents) of the song, it either doesn't strike the strings, or slightly strikes the strings in between. That's what those "ghost" strums in brackets are. I know this is subtle, but it's a natural thing that is happening once I play the strums up to tempo. It's kind of a groove/feel thing where I'm striking the strings in between the main strums/accents just to keep the groove going.

I really wish they included the strum direction (downs/ups) onto the transcription, as it might be a little clearer. Maybe it would help to write down the notation for that bar, and figure out the down ups of each group of 4 strums.  For example, Bar 4 above - the first beat would be D D U. Second beat would be U U. Third and Fourth beats are both D D U.

Hope this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/04/2023 8:34 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi Sascha - apologies for the confusion on this. When you watch the video of me playing the song - check out the strumming hand. It's moving steadily and constantly in 16th notes (DUDU per beat.)  Other than the main strums (accents) of the song, it either doesn't strike the strings, or slightly strikes the strings in between. That's what those "ghost" strums in brackets are. I know this is subtle, but it's a natural thing that is happening once I play the strums up to tempo. It's kind of a groove/feel thing where I'm striking the strings in between the main strums/accents just to keep the groove going.

I really wish they included the strum direction (downs/ups) onto the transcription, as it might be a little clearer. Maybe it would help to write down the notation for that bar, and figure out the down ups of each group of 4 strums.  For example, Bar 4 above - the first beat would be D D U. Second beat would be U U. Third and Fourth beats are both D D U.

Hope this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

I took screenshots of the transcription, printed them out, and marked in the strum directions. You're right - that makes it much easier to learn to play in time and to improvise over. Thanks!

BTW, I turned up my computer speakers and let my mangy mutts listen to you play the tune >> no howling or barking! Just a few muffled woofs here and there, as if to cheer you on. Same thing when I play the radio version of the song. But when I played the same bars, all hell still breaks loose. It's like being repeatedly voted off a doggy version of "The Voice".... in my own home!

edited
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/05/2023 12:21 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

I took screenshots of the transcription, printed them out, and marked in the strum directions. You're right - that makes it much easier to learn to play in time and to improvise over. Thanks!

BTW, I turned up my computer speakers and let my mangy mutts listen to you play the tune >> no howling or barking! Just a few muffled woofs here and there, as if to cheer you on. Same thing when I play the radio version of the song. But when I played the same bars, all hell still breaks loose. It's like being repeatedly voted off a doggy version of "The Voice".... in my own home!

Haha that's hilarious! Keep working on it, and soon the hounds will be silent! Glad you got the strums working. Please keep me posted on your progress!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.