Stop the bullying.. / start acting..

u10ajf
u10ajf
08/07/2003 9:35 pm
Many people have made a big thing about a certain person's poor spelling. GROW UP PLEASE! I can't believe the amount of crap this person has had to read. Some people have no tact and notice little features of a person's nature and blow them out of proportion just because that makes them feel cleverer. Maybe they do it just because they're insecure about their own faults, if they aren't they should be because their bullying behaviour needs to be remedied, preferably by someone as self-righteous and unfailing perfect as myself! (lol)
Unfortunately, such people may one day use such unfair evaluations to deprive this person of a job he might otherwise do excellently.

PEOPLE WILL JUDGE YOU ON THINGS THAT MAY SEEM TRIVIAL,
Sadly good spelling, grammar, vocabulary and (possibly) even punctuation are important, they are your passports into the white-collar professional world of well paid jobs where you won't have to work all hours just to feed yourself or give up your guitar mania. The whole "**** it, I'm going to be a rock star" attitude won't help you get anywhere. I nearly quit my education with such a goal in mind and I'm very glad I didn't. Guitar can only be a profession for a small minority of individuals. Some people will never make simply because they are BRILLIANT musicians and people don't understand their music and they won't compromise. For most of guitar will only be a hobby but it will be a priceless asset to the expression of one's emotions. So, guitar probably won't earn you money but being able to spell and having a reasonable vocabulary might.

IMPRESS YOURSELF AND DEAL WITH IT
If you want to sort out your spelling and grammar you should use a spell-checker like the one you get in Word. They can automatically underline misspellings and grammatically faulty phrases so you spot your mistakes as you make them. This saves you having a tedious job to do when you're nearly finished. If you want to improve your vocabulary then use a thesaurus and try to avoid using the same word twice in one sentence unless it's a pissy one like "a" or "to" or if it just can't be helped (and commonly it can't). "Dudes" for instance are smooth, poised, cool, urbane, sophisticated, decorous etc.
It's important to adopt the right psychology, think of it as a way of demonstrating your strength of will and as an exercise to improve your memory (which benefits from the effort) and NOT as an admission that you are at fault. To tackle and defeat problems which used to be major issues is a sure way of building self-esteem in all areas, and is much better (though harder) than just doing things you find easy. But go really easy on yourself, the trick is to practice and observe but to avoid negative emotions that actually reduce a person's learning capacity. A person's learning ability increases with practice, it's a fact known to any teacher or psychologist. Most people fall seriously short of their potentials because they are too lazy or give in too easily. Frustration frustrates learning. Stay cool, stylish, urbane. blah blah..

This is your mission should you choose to accept it..

Cue credits, groovy music and people with exploding briefcases.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2003 10:14 pm
I’m dyslexic (and very proud of it). As long as concision is not lost along the way, I firmly believe that being able to spell means nothing at all (IMHO)!

Once you grasp the idea that there is no such absolute as "time" and only change (time being a "word" or "concept" invented by humans), something like spelling really becomes so mundane and boring that... well I just use a spell checker!

And, if you can generate the odd inadvertent chuckle along the way well ...hey cool!

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/07/2003 10:26 pm
I regret to inform you that I choose not to accept it; your ideas close in on free will, and I feel that I, as well as every member on GuitarTricks, has the right to bitch when someone posts a message as dumb as this;

"OMG GUYS! I WORTE AN ASWEME SONG!"

Not only is he wasting our time, he is hurting our brains; we are individuals, we will act how we will; If he has the right to post idiotic messages, then we have the right to reply to them. It's fair game on GuitarTricks; While your idea is good-hearted, what do you expect us to do, refrain from being ourselves the next time we post? There is no black and white, in my humblest opinion, and this is a bull**** thread (no offense to you).

Let's not make him look like the victim, and everyone else, the criminal.

~Incidents
# 3
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
08/07/2003 10:37 pm
A lot of foreign guys to the english language have a very hard time trying to spell some of our words, but at least they are trying. Imagine having to deciper some of that stuff in their own language.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 4
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/07/2003 11:05 pm
may that be so i dont tihnk the guy everyones been bashing latly is foreign..when im talking in spanish i always check my self and if i dont know a word or how to spell it look it up..
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 5
Cody_King
Cody_King
08/07/2003 11:30 pm
Awseme post....
# 6
Tweak
Tweak
08/08/2003 12:19 am

Just to add my 2 cents worth, (free speech and all)
My spelling sucks too, but a lot of the time its just typo's because i type to quick - too much enthusiasm to get it onto the page. Ist that what this forum is about - Enthusiasm?

if you can shred on the comp keyboard like you can on the guitar good for you, if you cant then it dont matter, and if you cant spell for toffee then well your playings still proberbly gonna be better than mine. I guess it depends what makes an individual happy or not.

like i said, just my 2c worth.
"This is way too much pressure!"
# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/08/2003 3:03 am
Originally posted by Cody_King
Awseme post....

ROFLMAO!!!!

Yeah, who cares about making fun of people. There's a difference between misspelling words and typing so that no one can understand you.

Hi, leik R u GUyZ tHe KewlUsT PeEopLeS eVER!!! i pLAy thE GaTAr TOo!!! ASWEMe!!!

I mean seriously. If you take your time and think about what you want to say, it's not that hard. A misspelled word is ok, typing like an ape is not.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 8
Metalic Dude
Metalic Dude
08/08/2003 3:08 am
I was excited dudes...my first cool song for my first band...
Thank you u10ajf or whatever your nick is dude.
and Incidents, I'll post what I want to post.

I bet you can't say all of those things you wrought infront of my face , and I don't care If I'll get kicked of this forum because of this post, when people talk to me like that I'll not shut up.

Maybe I got some problams in my spelling, maybe I type like an ape, but I got friends, I got life, I got girls, I got a band, AND I'M HAPPY! I forgot most of you are nerds and can't say something like "cool dude! good luck!"

What you expected from a metalist? to be a good speller?!
I love to have fun and eat and rock and **** girls! like most of us here, and it's stupid to judge some1 by his ****ing posts...

[Edited by Zeppelin on 08-08-2003 at 04:47 AM]
Metal goooooood, Pop Baaaaaaad!!!
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2003 3:45 am
Bad spelling usually comes down to laziness. I say that as a naturally bad speller. I've just forced myself to improve it over time, and I make the effort to check things over before I post (most of the time anyway). Some people have it easier, but realisticly, most people could have much MUCH better spelling and language skills if they pushed themselves just a little harder.

That out of the way, I thought this was Guitartricks... not Harmony Central. You know, a place where the only people who get flamed are the ones who come here looking for trouble.

Yeah, the "Net-speak" annoys me too. But, show a little respect for the community we've been building here, and stay your fingers, folks because you'll miss this thing we've got going here when it's gone.

But by then it will be too late.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/08/2003 4:25 am
Originally posted by Metalic Dude
I was excited dudes...my first cool song for my first band...
Thank you u10ajf or whatever your nick is dude.
and Incidents, listen to me you goat-****er, I'll post what I want to post, and your not a bully you worm, you're a nerd, that's my opinion on you, idiot.

I bet you can't say all of those things you wrought infront of my face if we knew each other, befor you'll open your mouth you'll pee and **** in your pants, and I don't care If I'll get kicked of this forum because of this post, when people talk to me like that I'll not shut up.

Maybe I got some problams in my spelling, maybe I type like an ape, but I got friends, I got life, I got girls, I got a band, AND I'M HAPPY! I forgot most of you are nerds and can't say something like "cool dude! good luck!"

What you expected from a metalist? to be a good speller?!
I love to have fun and eat and rock and **** girls! like most of us here, and it's stupid to judge some1 by his ****ing posts...

[Edited by Metalic Dude on 08-07-2003 at 10:17 PM]

Look, was that so hard. That was a post that was able to be read. No one here said you were a loser and said you didn't have friends or any of that stuff.

And you're being very hypocritical. We made fun of you for your bad spelling, and now you're calling us nerds because we can use proper English.

Pot calling the kettle black don't ya think?

You are just making yourself look more ignorant by saying, "Dude, I'm so tough, I would kick your ass if you said that in person." You've turned into the internet bad a*s. Woohoo!!! *runs and hides*

Look at me, I'm a 6'8" 290lb college football player with 32" biceps and a 12" wang. BE AFRAID OF ME!!! I WILL KICK YOUR BUTT!!! (just kidding about all the stuff, except the 12" wang part ;) ) That doesn't make you tough man!

Fact: Don't act like a moron and you won't get treated like one.

I have no beef with you, your posts are simply amusing. It's like trying to decipher a code.

Ok, in all seriousness, take some time and think about what you're going to type and then type it. You will get more respect from posting clearly.
# 11
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/08/2003 4:33 am
HAHAH..i agree with about Almost everytihng pantalica said. u sorta lost me with the "Pot calling the kettle black don't ya think?"
no need to get all stuck up bout it..weve all been bashed before..well some of us atleast
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/08/2003 4:40 am
Originally posted by Metalic Dude

and Incidents, listen to me you goat-****er, I'll post what I want to post, and your not a bully you worm, you're a nerd, that's my opinion on you, idiot.

You are missing the entire theory behind the thread. This isn't one person just backing you, in a desperate attempt to save you from disaster, this is a person's idea not to make fun of people because of their typing skills, spelling skills, etc; which is why I bring up the idea- why? I have always, and will continue to, be myself, and if you are allowed to talk out of your asshole, then I, as well as anyone who chooses to do so, should be able to respond to your ignorant comments like one.

Show some respect before littering our forums with garbage.

-Sincerely

"The Idiot"

~Incidents
# 13
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
08/08/2003 4:43 am
Originally posted by ketsueki15
HAHAH..i agree with about Almost everytihng pantalica said. u sorta lost me with the "Pot calling the kettle black don't ya think?"
no need to get all stuck up bout it..weve all been bashed before..well some of us atleast

That's an old analogy.

The pot is black as well and is calling the kettle black.

Kind of like, someone who smokes, and then preaches to you about not smoking. That's the pot calling the kettle black.
# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/08/2003 4:48 am
Check my profile dewds. I wrote it nearly three years ago. I've had no reason to change it since then. I view music and language as being inextricably linked.

If something is worth saying, it is worth expressing in ways that are readily understood.

The proper and correct use of language is important to me. Communication is impossible without it. As fluency and accuracy decrease, so does the value of the message. In the written and spoken word, and in music. These are means of expression and communicaton of ideas and emotions. Just as a minimum level of technical competence is necessary to permit guitar players to express themselves musically, sufficient vocabulary, and a firm grasp of the essential rules of grammar, are prerequisites to written and verbal communication.

I might have said something clever here, like "I'll type this slowly, so you can read it." Instead I'll offer to work on keeping my posts simple, if you'll work on clarifying yours. Fair 'nuff?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/08/2003 5:41 am
i cant help but laughing at this thread. it clearly displays that some peeps do have absolutely no sense of humor. it must be a sad life when you take everything for serious and the only way you are able to reply to someone who is making fun of you is by shaking your fist at him.
When i´m out with my friends for example we keep calling us names and making fun of ourselves each time someone says something stupid - and sometimes even if he doesnt say something stupid *L* - but we can handle it - we know that is just fun! i guess it takes a certain amount of maturity to be able to laugh at yourself.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
08/08/2003 7:54 am
In my opinion the thing that was most ridiculous about the AWESWEME(or whatever) song was not the fact that he misspelled the whole thing. When I saw this title I thought theat the guy has put a link to so that we can download the song, or part of it and give him some feedback. But when I actually read the post in which he said that the song is so damn cool that he is afraid to post the riffs because someone would steal them. Well, that was ... i don't know what word to use here....stupid. It's like posting "I date with this very sexy chick but I'm not gonna proove you because I am afraid that you will steal it" Well that was not a very goond analogy but it was similar EMPTY statement that has no purpose. In the same wayt you could have just typed random keystrokes and posted whatever the result was. LIKE:KLYVBLIUY:ol iuopiweau0p89706986999996
About spelling and gramar: being a nonnative speaker, I make mistakes, and I know that, and I am giving my best to make less. No problem with that, nobody's perfect. But when you see someone typing like a moron, this is a sign of lack of care or respect, and you are not going to take such a person serliosly simply because he does not care if he can communicate with you in a reasonable way.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 17
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/08/2003 12:46 pm
O.K. I admit it, "OMG GUYS! I WORTE AN ASWEME SONG!" is to the English language what Josef Stalin was to children's entertainment and flower-fairy pagents. On the other hand, having made my point so forcefully I'm not in a position to make a u-turn that doesn't amount to rounding a u-bend! If the English language was abused any more we'd have to call it... American. (kidding for ****'s sake, not serious! I can't resist a good bitchy comment sometimes). I agree with Lordathestrings that the standard of one's language is important. I appear to have pissed off Ponyone with my insensitve class comments, Ponyone appears, whilst demonstrative of his working class background certainly strikes me as a highly articulate person and I didn't mean my comment to cause offense. As for education and the Arabic world, well, you gave us our numerals and invented zero! We'd still be pissing around with roman numerals (which are practically impossible to manipulate). So, respect. The point remains though, brilliant language skills can still be used to express nothing and poor language can convey a great deal. I'd certainly say some of it was very original, something of a chromatic run of verbal off-the-wallness!

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 18
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/08/2003 4:26 pm
Slow Driver nails it on the head; We teased him moreso because his thread(s) were worthless.

If I typed a thread, saying

"I wrote a riff! It's so good, that none of you can see it!"

What's the point in telling us that? Are we supposed to say "Wow, cool man! Awesome!" Nobody cares! Unless you can post a link to the Mp3 file, nobody gives a ****. Why should we? Nobody cares that you 'worte and awsemome song', and who says it's awesome? You? You should know very well that you aren't the judge of your talent, an audience is. Make sure to have played it at a gig, with feedback, before calling it awesome (or awsmemome); but, in order to do that, you have to get out of your garage.

~Incidents

# 19
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/08/2003 7:47 pm
lol..the bashing continues on
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.