Volume of Strat Ultra

Graemecauk
Full Access
Graemecauk
Full Access
03/08/2024 3:09 pm
Hi, following my earlier post "Which Strat", things have moved on and I have another question.

In the end I opted for a limited edition Strat Ultra HSS with an ebony fretboard. I fell in love with it as soon as I had it in my hands. It just felt right and had a fantastic, ringing clean tone which was my main reason for looking at strats in the first place.

Comparing side by side with my Les Paul I have noticed that, with the volume of both guitars set to max, the Strat is about a third quieter than the Les Paul on all three pickups and I just want to check that this is normal behaviour for Fender noiseless pickups and not actually a fault I need to get checked out?

As a consequence, the effect I get out of my dirt pedals from the Fender is also a lot more subtle - which is nice, especially with the Tube Screamer -, but I'm guessing I could make the dirt more aggressive with a boost pedal at the start of my signal chain instead if the song calls for it ?

On a similar note, I recently bought a Behringer Super Fuzz as an inexpensive way of trying that effect out before committing to a higher quality unit. The Behringer works fine with my LP but when I play any note past the 6th fret of the high E string of the Strat the sustain drops dramatically to about 2 seconds. This doesn't happen with any of my other dirt effects so I suspect the problem is more to do with the Behringer, but does this mean my noiseless pickups aren't really compatible with any Fuzz pedal?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2024 12:42 am

That is totally normal & typical of relative output Strat to LP.  It's also exactly why clean boost pedals exist.  So you are on the right track, there!

It's also good that you've noticed the Strat is a more dynamic &, as you say, subtle instrument even with gain & volume.  You might also consider simply turning your LP down (with the guitar volume), instead of trying to push the Strat with pedals.  Of course these days with modern gear you can have multiple presets on digital or modelling amps & effect units to switch settings & output volumes at the push of a preset button as needed for whatever guitar you are playing!

I think what you are hearing with the fuzz pedal is also pretty typical.  Fuzz as an effect is a little odd in that it typically squashes any dynamics or upper harmonics by pushing the lows & mids to crazy clipping levels.  Most players I know that use fuzz (or a similar effect) also pair it with an overdrive or boost pedal to help tame the lows & push highs to get some kind of clarity out of it for upper range single string notes.  I'm inclined to say it will happen with any fuzz unit.

Another problem with fuzz & a Strat is if you are using the neck pickup it accentuates the bass range while cutting the highs making the problem worse!

Most problems of sustain can be solved with volume & a little more clarity in the mids & highs of your overall settings.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy your new Strat!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Graemecauk
Full Access
Graemecauk
Full Access
03/09/2024 1:30 am
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

That is totally normal & typical of relative output Strat to LP.  It's also exactly why clean boost pedals exist.  So you are on the right track, there!

It's also good that you've noticed the Strat is a more dynamic &, as you say, subtle instrument even with gain & volume.  You might also consider simply turning your LP down (with the guitar volume), instead of trying to push the Strat with pedals.  Of course these days with modern gear you can have multiple presets on digital or modelling amps & effect units to switch settings & output volumes at the push of a preset button as needed for whatever guitar you are playing!

I think what you are hearing with the fuzz pedal is also pretty typical.  Fuzz as an effect is a little odd in that it typically squashes any dynamics or upper harmonics by pushing the lows & mids to crazy clipping levels.  Most players I know that use fuzz (or a similar effect) also pair it with an overdrive or boost pedal to help tame the lows & push highs to get some kind of clarity out of it for upper range single string notes.  I'm inclined to say it will happen with any fuzz unit.

Another problem with fuzz & a Strat is if you are using the neck pickup it accentuates the bass range while cutting the highs making the problem worse!

Most problems of sustain can be solved with volume & a little more clarity in the mids & highs of your overall settings.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy your new Strat!

Thanks for your very helpful and informative advice, and for putting my mind at rest. I hadn’t even thought of using dedicated channels for each guitar on my amp. That seems like the best route to go down.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2024 2:10 pm

You're welcome! 

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.