Arpeggios

daveasdf
daveasdf
11/09/2003 4:43 pm
So anyway, I'm making my musical journey through the land of shred. One form of playing those arpeggios is to put your hand as if you were going to play a chord and pick through it going upwards then downwards right? Another is to just figure out the patterns on the fretboard and play them like a solo or like the into to Sweet Child o Mine(I forget the name of them but I, III, V, VII of the scales and the modes and what have you...tri tones?). That's all I know with respect to arpeggios while shredding.

IE.
(Key of E minor, using the D sharp diminished scale)

|---------------------8--11--8 And on back down...
|-----------------10----------
|-----------8-11--------------
|-----7-10--------------------
|6-9--------------------------
|-----------------------------

Or just picking through the chord right?

|------------5--
|---------7-----7 And on back downwards.
|------5------
|---7---------
|6------------
|-------------

# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/10/2003 11:33 am
basically an arpeggio is nothing else than the notes of a chord played in succession. its does not necessary have to be a one.note.per.string thing, alltough that is what most guitarists think. you can play them all on one string (if your neck is long enough *L*). but its realy nothing more than chordnotes played one after the other.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/10/2003 12:55 pm
Yep , arpeggios can be swept,alternate picked , tapped or whatever ... Just take the chord notes , and play them in any sequence with any technique you desire.
# 3
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/10/2003 1:13 pm
So this is singly picked in a down/up fashion. Or raked/sweeped whatever the terminology is for playing a note on each string in an upwards or downwards motion. I guess I should check out the lessons on this. I should've done that firstoff.
# 4
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
11/11/2003 9:12 am
Dude,

You can pick it however works best for you.

Sweeping/Raking are relatively the same, sweeping you put the effort into making sure you play each note individually, I believe raking is when you pretty much hold the chord and arepeggiate it rather than strum it. I could be wrong there with the terminology and they could mean the exact same thing.

Alternate it if you will.

Tap arpeggios if you will.

It's already been said, but I feel like stressing it.

ARPEGGIOS are just the notes of a chord played in succesion nothing more, nothing less. Simple concept if you know say a major or minor chord play every note in it to get an arpeggio. The more complex the chord the more ntoes to play. The more interesting you can get with the technique used to paly it.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.