Tube or Modelling amp?

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/03/2003 7:35 pm
I am looking at various amps at the moment.
The two in particular that I am stuck between are a Laney Vc50 (2x12...full tube 12ax7`s and el34`s) or a Line6 Spider II (either the 1x12 or 2x12). I love the Metal amp model on the Spiders, but I prefer the tube tone(obviously) of the Laney. I am thinking I will buy the Laney and then a Dm4 Distortion Modeller by Line6...any suggestions?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/03/2003 9:34 pm
I would get the Laney over the spider any time. The distortion on those isn't quite as versatile or rich as what you're probably looking for, and laney amps are tanks.

Let me put it this way- John 5 (guitarist for Marilyn Manson) uses laney. He's had his gear abused every way imaginable by Brian and still hasn't had any problems with it. It gets thrown off stage, gets alcohol poured on/in it, it's gotten set on fire more than once, and it's still going. And it rocks.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/04/2003 4:42 pm
I play a peavey triple XXX (tube amp) and also use a Line 6 PODxt. I only use the POD for the effects and the rest bypassed. You just can't beat the tube warmth. the POD sounds great but it's just missing that little something that can only be produced by real tubes. to most it's not noticable enought to matter, but for tone heads it's very noticable. The spiderII is an awsome amp, and if you're not anal about actuall tube dynamics then it would be great. I don't have any experience with laney amps so I can't help you there, but you defanately wont be dissapointed with the real tube tone.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/04/2003 11:44 pm
Modeling amps have several SIMULATIONS of great tube amps.The way I look at it if there trying to copy the sound of a tube am must mean theres a reason they want to sound like real tubes eh??
Another way to loo at it is in all the concerts you have been to how many pros had tube amps,how many had modeling amps and how many had solid state.So far every one but one band I've seen has had tube amps.
Tube amps are naturaly more touch sensitive,the slightest change in pick attack is a world of differance.On my single channel Marshall I play a stock strat,one the the one channel I can get everything from a clean sound to a hard rock snarl all in my pick attack.Plug a bucker guitar in and turn the gain a few hairs and you could get a hi-gain sound that is less sensitive but still dynamic.
I also have a solid state Park practice amp its a decent amp or what it is,but solid state it sounds the way it sounds distortion is distortion and clean is clean,back off you attack on distortion it still buzzes cause of the diode clipping in the preamp.
Since I got my tue amp several years ago I have slowly gotten to be allot better player in terms of dynamics.
Moral of that story is get the TUBES.
The modeling amp is good if you need allot of diferant sounds but don't nessicarilly need anone of them great.The tube amp is for dialing in one sound that is top notch.How many pros do you know that have 100 so/so sounds not many right.They usually have three or four great ones.
TUBES TUBES TUBES!!
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
12/05/2003 4:33 am
Go with a tube amp in combonation with a amp modeller later.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/07/2003 8:05 pm
hey all...Thanks for the help.
I have also considered this issue and I am going with the laney Vc50 and then either a Line6 dm4 Distortion modeler or a Boss od20 Twin Pedal...which one guys?
any of you own any of these pedals?
Oh and Guitar Sam...Your question on bands and what amps they all play...well of all the American/International bands I have seen all the guitarists play tube, however, Here in South Africa, most of our musos are not wealthy enough to afford tube amps and the vast majority of guitarits( particularly young ones. ) Play either Solid state amps or amps with a 12ax7 in the preamp only...like a Marshall Avt or the old vs series...
Well any thoughts on which distortion modeler to go with?
Thanks
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.