sellouts?

sigment frued
sigment frued
08/16/2005 3:00 am
o.k, in all events that have happened in metallica's past and present, are they sellouts? have they given into treads and what not?
cowardice lies beneath the skin,
through your you see power love peace,
i see betrayal hate a grudge flourished through time.

then comes the solo
www.siroccoband.com
# 1
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/16/2005 3:24 am

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/16/2005 3:37 am
Did somebody say sellout!?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/16/2005 3:49 am
Ewww ska
My YouTube Profile
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/16/2005 5:16 am
I don't necessarily think they're sellouts, but then again I don't think they're not sellouts... I just think they're full of **** and their music sucks these days. So who cares how much they sell, their music still sucks.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2005 6:07 am
> have they given into treads and what not

Their limosine tires probably have treads so, yeah I guess they have.
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/16/2005 6:28 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggEwww ska
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

08/16/2005 11:59 am
If they are playing what they really want to play then I don't see them as sellouts. Their music doesn't mean anything to me these days but that not basis to say they are sellouts.

They are still awesome live anyway, altho the crowd seems to get into the old songs more :)
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
08/16/2005 3:59 pm
I think we all view them as sell outs... of course we would. We don't make millions of dollars every year. I personally can't stand to listen to their new stuff. It literally does sound like a bunch of banging noises. But I think they were trying to experiment in an open market and try to hit a new genre or style.... and well.... they missed. When you're Metallica you can do those types of things and still be a great band. I do have to say that they St. Anger songs sounded 40 times better live than they did on the album. It's pretty bad though when you're playing a concert to promote your newest album and you only play 2 songs off of it..... I thank them. Maybe Metallica just proved a point by saying that well known musicians can sell crappy albums and still go platinum... maybe they got so caught up in the Napster war that they intentionally made an album that no one will ever download.... but still will go platinum because of the massive following of Metallica fans.... I don't know. I think they were a great band... and still are. The music isn't gone, they just have to find it again... or atleast try something different than what they did on St. Anger.... they're not what they use to be at all.. Lars is slow... Kirk abuses his wah pedal (still shreds though)... James' voice is sketchy at times.... Newstead is gone... Trujillo is the man on Bass... he's half the age of the rest of them...

I don't see how they've "Sold out" though... they all still are endoresed by the same gear companies that they've always been with... they just have capitalized on merchandising and the use of internet marketing to make their live shows available for purchase....

Metallica is Metallica... sell out or not.... I still love them
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/16/2005 4:22 pm
Where as for me, metallica died after master of puppets. It is hard to say they are sellouts when we lack the ability to think things through as they have. If I had to take a stab at it though, I'd say it comes down to unsorted priorities... top priority being better quality of music. St. Anger pissed me off, it was like nu-metal only each song was twice as long. I also kind of miss the days where Hetfield didn't think he had to be cussing so damn much. I've no quarrel with profanity in lyrics, but if you've established yourself as a good lyricist without it, then why bother? That and every other lyric that wasn't profane on St. Anger was just pure stupidity. While I do think that it is possible for them to make a kick ass CD under the Metallica name again, I don't think they'll top the Burton era ever, so I'd just as soon like to see them disban and take their experiments in music elsewhere rather than take advantage of the Metallica name.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 10
sigment frued
sigment frued
08/16/2005 10:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsWhere as for me, metallica died after master of puppets. It is hard to say they are sellouts when we lack the ability to think things through as they have. If I had to take a stab at it though, I'd say it comes down to unsorted priorities... top priority being better quality of music. St. Anger pissed me off, it was like nu-metal only each song was twice as long. I also kind of miss the days where Hetfield didn't think he had to be cussing so damn much. I've no quarrel with profanity in lyrics, but if you've established yourself as a good lyricist without it, then why bother? That and every other lyric that wasn't profane on St. Anger was just pure stupidity. While I do think that it is possible for them to make a kick ass CD under the Metallica name again, I don't think they'll top the Burton era ever, so I'd just as soon like to see them disban and take their experiments in music elsewhere rather than take advantage of the Metallica name.

justice for all was great too,I just think they went a bit mainstream after that.
cowardice lies beneath the skin,
through your you see power love peace,
i see betrayal hate a grudge flourished through time.

then comes the solo
www.siroccoband.com
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/16/2005 10:49 pm
I didn't care much for and justice for all, to be honest. I kind of thought that it sounded all the same. Of course I do enjoy one and blackened, but the rest just didn't do it for me.

Hulk Smash!!

# 12
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
08/17/2005 7:58 pm
Load had it's heavy moments though. Along with Re-Load and St. Anger (Which wa pretty heavy).

I just think they ran out of ideas. Actually i thought they ran out of new ideas for a while. They just did a good job disguising it.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 13
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/17/2005 8:03 pm
Originally Posted by: DreamRyche2112Load had it's heavy moments though. Along with Re-Load and St. Anger (Which wa pretty heavy).

I just think they ran out of ideas. Actually i thought they ran out of new ideas for a while. They just did a good job disguising it.

Hey man, how've you been? I haven't seen you around in a while.
My YouTube Profile
# 14
sirocco-john
sirocco-john
08/18/2005 4:52 pm
metallica sold out big time. there just a bunch of half assed faggots now just writing music to make money. if some fat cat executive told them tomorrow "hey lads, rap music is huge now...what do ya say" james would be singing about his ho's and bitches in a heartbeat. so yes they are sell-outs.
# 15
fingertricks
fingertricks
08/18/2005 7:52 pm
I think kiss is the worst of them all!
# 16
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/18/2005 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: fingertricksI think kiss is the worst of them all!

What are you talking about? ;)

My YouTube Profile
# 17
dakine80
dakine80
08/18/2005 10:01 pm
I can't really understand how people think they DIDN'T sell-out.

It was a Text-Book example of selling out. I heard an interview, back in the day, in which Lars was talking about how "Metallica was always going against the grain." Kind of ironic if you ask me.

I remember, when Metallica was premoting Load, I saw a Rolling Stone magazine at my girlfriends house and at first I was looking at it upside down and I thought "Cool, they wrote an article about the Chili Peppers." I turned it around and realized that it wasn't the Chili Peppers. I looked closer and was astounded to realize that it was actually Metallica with their new look!

It made me sick inside to see them like that because I knew that it was the confirmed death of the REAL Metallica.
# 18
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/19/2005 6:20 am
I dunno, I've always thought that when you state yourself as an against-the-grain type or anything like that in an interview you're just setting yourself up for a backfire because you just never know where you're going to go and being as big as they are it just asks for it. And they're far from against-the-grain these days, so it just goes to show.

Hulk Smash!!

# 19
RedZep
RedZep
08/19/2005 9:30 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggEwww ska

*cringe* uhhhhg. . . . . .
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.