Core learning system

xamovz
xamovz
06/17/2020 8:52 pm

Hello,

I've finished fundamentals level 2, enjoyed it very much and learned from the basics a lot, spot on. But now I started acoustic level 1 and realized all

two levels of beginner lessons in acoustic, rock, country and blues are the same tutorials with the same instructor as the ones you find on "experienced lessons" in all styles offered in the Core learning system. That was a bummer because I expected two different levels in beginner and experienced lessons and at least more varied instructors to get the most of the core system. Along with the sections learn to play songs and styles of guitar, what else can we do to use the site properly? Is guitartricks planning on adding new tutorials?[br]thanks.

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
06/17/2020 10:33 pm

Hey Xamovz --

I'm hoping I understand, but when you click on the Experienced tab, are you starting with the areas highlighted in RED? Those should not be the same videos as Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2. Guitar Fundaments 1 and 2 are taught by Lisa McCormick -- and Blues, Rock, Country, and Acoustic are taught by Anders Mouridsen.

Is that making sense?

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
06/17/2020 10:39 pm

Can I piggyback on this post as long as we're on the subject, and ask what the difference is between the Acoustic I/II taught by Anders and the one that's taught by Lisa? Why is the Anders one easily found on the main page in the screenshot you posted, and the Lisa one is difficult to find?

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 3
Carl King
Carl King
06/17/2020 11:32 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

Can I piggyback on this post as long as we're on the subject, and ask what the difference is between the Acoustic I/II taught by Anders and the one that's taught by Lisa? Why is the Anders one easily found on the main page in the screenshot you posted, and the Lisa one is difficult to find?

Hey Faith, Good question -- it looks like Lisa did some shorter courses called Acoustic Fingerpicking and Strumming back in 2008 and 2012. We like to update the courses over time and expand them with higher resolution cameras, etc. We've been steadily shooting and editing the Core Learning System courses (Blues, Rock, Country, Acoustic) for 12 years now, and we've even reshot some of them totally from scratch with new instructors. Country, Rock, and even Guitar Fundamentals were previously different instructors and material. So Lisa even replaced some other people's stuff. The best way to have the Core Learning System integrated and consistent was to have Anders do all of it. Maybe someday we'll redo them all in virtual reality, and I'll be editing them in a wheelchair! :)

Anyway, I don't *think* the Acoustic Level 1 and 2 were meant to "replace" the Lisa Acoustic Fingerpicking lessons in this case, because I don't think they were ever officially part of the Core Learning System. I think those were more of a self-contained thing back before there was an overall structure to the site.

PS Lisa is awesome and sometimes it's just a matter of who is available for certain projects, deadlines, travel, etc. It all kind of overlaps and people are working on different things at different times.

-Carl.

# 4
xamovz
xamovz
06/18/2020 6:55 am

Hey Carl,

thanks for the reply. I am on level 1 of acoustic with Anders and I know it's not the same content as fundamentals I&II instructed by Lisa.

the thing is I expected different content and more instructors throughout the core learning system on the beginner lesson and experienced lesson tabs. I wish We could have 4 levels for each genre in the red areas, 1-2 levels in beginners tab, 3-4 levels in experienced tab with different instructors. The core learning system has worked really well for me so far, but I assume only two levels for genre aren't enough for a more thorough instruction process. Are you planning on posting new content? Because once I finished let's say acoustic levels 1-2, I can only go and learn acoustic songs and acoustic style content right?

thanks in advance. :)

# 5
Carl King
Carl King
06/18/2020 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: xamovz

Hey Carl,

thanks for the reply. I am on level 1 of acoustic with Anders and I know it's not the same content as fundamentals I&II instructed by Lisa.

the thing is I expected different content and more instructors throughout the core learning system on the beginner lesson and experienced lesson tabs. I wish We could have 4 levels for each genre in the red areas, 1-2 levels in beginners tab, 3-4 levels in experienced tab with different instructors. The core learning system has worked really well for me so far, but I assume only two levels for genre aren't enough for a more thorough instruction process. Are you planning on posting new content? Because once I finished let's say acoustic levels 1-2, I can only go and learn acoustic songs and acoustic style content right?

thanks in advance. :)

Hey Xamovz,

Thanks for your feedback, because it's all going to depend on how much demand there is for more of the course material. We're doing our best to expand on the Core Learning System steadily over the years. We just released Acoustic 1 and 2 very recently.

So, are you saying you want HIGHER levels of Acoustic 1 and 2 (and the other genres)? Such as Acoustic 3 and 4, etc? How is the level of challenge for you? Or do you want more thorough, slower courses with more videos -- covering the same level of challenge but getting you there at a slower pace?

This will all be driven by requests and demand, so thank you. Glad you are enjoying it and that it is working for you!

-Carl.

# 6
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/19/2020 5:39 pm

Hi Carl,

I think what Xamovz initial note was centered on the confusion of the Beginner and Experienced course layout. I too just noticed this. If you go to the Home Screen you see two tabs. One says beginner lessons where Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 are in red and the others to the right ( rock, blues, country and acoustic 1 & 2) are in grey.

Thats all fine, but if you go back to Home screen and click on the Experienced Course layout it's the exact same thing only GF1 & 2 are in Grey and the others to the right are in Red, but the course contents are the same as in Beginner section. So I guess the question is if you go to the Home screen what is the difference between Beginner and Experienced Lessons Modules?

Thanks,

Moe

# 7
Carl King
Carl King
06/19/2020 5:53 pm

Hey Moe — on the Core Learning System map it’s all the same content, it’s simply highlighting in Red the Beginner (Guitar Fundamentals) or Experienced (Blues, Rock, Country, Acoustic), so you know where to start.

Also, along the bottom the other little boxes / categories of Style Tutorials and Songs Made Easy, etc change to point you in the right direction.

Let me know if that makes sense.

-Carl.

# 8
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/19/2020 6:09 pm

ok got it now.

Thanks,

# 9
xamovz
xamovz
06/23/2020 7:34 am

Hey Moe,

that's exactly right what I meant, my previous thought seeing the layout of two tabs as beginner and experienced was that I had a lot of content to go through. It's clear fundamentals stay the same as 1-2 in both tabs, however that'd be cool to have beginner levels 1-2 for each genre; rock, acoustic, blues, country, and experienced ones 1-2 for each genre again; rock, acoustic, blues and country, different content level as it's a different tab, notice that the level one for each genre as "experienced videos" start with two picks of difficulty which is in my humble opinion not very experienced content; plus we have only Anders as instructor in all 2 levels for each genre.

Carl, you think we can follow the rock, blues couse playing an electro acoustic guitar? [br]thanks, [br]Xavier.

# 10
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/23/2020 7:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Do you think it would be better if the BEGINNER page only had the Fundamentals courses? And then maybe the EXPERIENCED page had everything except the Fundamentals? Would that make the pages seem a bit easier to navigate?

Like Carl said, we added Acoustic 1 and 2 very recently, and we definitely want to add more courses in the future.

Getting feedback from you all is really great and we would love to know how you would reorganize the current courses in the Core Learning System.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 11
xamovz
xamovz
06/23/2020 8:19 pm

Hi there,

In my opinion, layout is great. Courses are great too, my point was to add more courses to have levels 1-2-3-4 in each genre, 1-2 for beginner courses in each genre on beginner tab, 3-4 for experienced course in each genre on experienced tab, I don't think the spot of fundamentals it's an issue. Though, I understand how difficult it is to upload new content and have such a long core learning system, your doing a great job with the system.

thanks.

Xavier

[br][br]

# 12
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/23/2020 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi everyone,

Do you think it would be better if the BEGINNER page only had the Fundamentals courses? And then maybe the EXPERIENCED page had everything except the Fundamentals? Would that make the pages seem a bit easier to navigate?

Like Carl said, we added Acoustic 1 and 2 very recently, and we definitely want to add more courses in the future.

Getting feedback from you all is really great and we would love to know how you would reorganize the current courses in the Core Learning System.

Best,

Billy

Hi Billy,

That to me makes a bit more sense. What threw me was why have two buttons on the home screen where one says beginner and the other says experienced then find out that the material is the same in both programs just with different colored buttons. If I was completing all the curriculum in beginner then renewed my subscription looking forward to seeing what great stuff I could learn in the experience tab and then finding out it's the same material I'd be a little disappointed to say the least. [br] That being said the material being taught is great so that's just my two cents. If you never change a thing I'd still highly recommend guitar tricks to anyone. [br][br]

Moe

# 13
Carl King
Carl King
06/23/2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for this, mjgodin... very useful!

-Carl.

# 14
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/13/2020 2:49 pm

I still see the pathways clearly marked whether you click beginner or experienced.

Level 1 in any of the genres is above the fundamentals for the beginners in 1 and 2.

A none beginner with a little experience will not need to be shown the parts of a guitar and how to hold one. Guess there will always be a little overlap with scales and strumming.

I'm sure most people with any kind of subscription have had a good look ahead to see what's coming up.

Won't renew if it's duplication but I don't see that.

And there is so much more to be found by clicking on the instructors to see their list of contributions which stretches well in to highly experienced

# 15
Kelenpe
Kelenpe
11/14/2020 10:45 am

I would agree that the highlight in red between beginner and experienced lessons in the core learning system are a bit confusing. I am one of those who would prefer to have exclusive webpages between beginner and experienced lessons on the core learning system.

Overall the content is great and so are the teachers... in fact I even extended for a second year (after Fundamental 1 and 2, I am now on acoustic level 1).

Nevertheless, it took me time to get used to the website user interface which is not the most intuitive, there are areas of improvements for the website and Apps.

Yamaha Pacifica 112v and APX600

# 16
garywhitley27
garywhitley27
03/02/2021 7:02 pm

Hi, I wondered if someone could answer something for me? I've completed guitar fundamentals 1and 2 (thought it was great actually) and I've started on Blues 1 with Anders. I've noticed that this course has a 3 guitar difficulty rating compared to 2 guitar difficulty ratings for the equivalent rock and country courses at level 1.

TBH I'm finding some of the blues course a bit difficult (7th barre chord with the thumb voicing and 9th barre chords in particular). Should I have started with the country and rock lessons first. I'd like to do all 3 courses to get a good general knowledge of the instrument but I started on Blues because it was at the top of the page. [br]Thanks in advance

Gary

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.