Auto Scroll

sbmcgarrigle
sbmcgarrigle
04/29/2020 8:31 am

This auto scroll issue is costing you money. I'm a beginner and was extremely impressed with your site and felt it was helping me make great progress. I had paid for an annual membership. Then I started reaching sections of the beginners course that had song lengths with more than a screen of information.

These are impossible to follow along. It makes the entire lesson pointless. I thought perhaps I could print them off and follow along that way. Irritating and time wasting but a solution. I then found that you can't even print them out. [br][br]

This is an issue that absolutely must be fixed. It completely destroys the usefulness of the beginner path lessons. As is say I cancelled my membership and got a refund. That is a dreadful outcome for yourselves and also me. I'm genuinely surprised anyone gets beyond these lessons without getting a refund as they make the course impossible to complete properly.

if there is a work around or anyway of making the lesson feasible I would love to,hear about it because it is with a heavy heart I've given my money to one of your competitors for now.

# 1
jsn.hgl
jsn.hgl
05/02/2020 6:16 pm
Originally Posted by: sbmcgarrigle

This auto scroll issue is costing you money. I'm a beginner and was extremely impressed with your site and felt it was helping me make great progress. I had paid for an annual membership. Then I started reaching sections of the beginners course that had song lengths with more than a screen of information.

These are impossible to follow along. It makes the entire lesson pointless. I thought perhaps I could print them off and follow along that way. Irritating and time wasting but a solution. I then found that you can't even print them out. [br][br]

This is an issue that absolutely must be fixed. It completely destroys the usefulness of the beginner path lessons. As is say I cancelled my membership and got a refund. That is a dreadful outcome for yourselves and also me. I'm genuinely surprised anyone gets beyond these lessons without getting a refund as they make the course impossible to complete properly.

if there is a work around or anyway of making the lesson feasible I would love to,hear about it because it is with a heavy heart I've given my money to one of your competitors for now.

Well said.

I was originally a member in 2018 and struggled through the poor UX with lack of auto scrolling and spotty video looping. After one year of all access I chose not to renew out of frustration. I am back subscribed to all access again hoping that some improvements had been made. I see they have not and am considering getting a refund. I shared all this with the GT admin over email and didn't get a reply to my most recent email where I asked if they had a roadmap of when improvements would be made in the future.

So frustrating. Best instructors. Great song selection. All being ruined by the lack of features that inferior competitors have standard.

# 2
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
05/02/2020 8:12 pm

This keeps coming up so I'm amazed GT hasn't implemented the auto scroll feature to all lessons yet, it definitely makes learning a lot easier and we need it on every video lesson, the lessons without it are a real pain and it slows down the students workflow.

# 3
gaca0002
gaca0002
05/04/2020 8:51 pm

Another request for auto scroll, please!

I'm a beginner, and there are plenty of beginner song lessons where I have to stop trying to find chords so I can move the music along myself. Printing isn't allowed on any of the songs I've tried so far. Please - it would be so helpful!

# 4
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/04/2020 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: gaca0002

I'm a beginner, and there are plenty of beginner song lessons where I have to stop trying to find chords so I can move the music along myself. Printing isn't allowed on any of the songs I've tried so far. Please - it would be so helpful!

Thanks for checking out the songs! The play along and the performance sections of the song tutorial offer auto scroll. But you would like auto scroll on everything, correct?

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 5
janelle_reid01
janelle_reid01
05/04/2020 10:54 pm

Yes thank you Billy!! Autoscroll On all lessons whenever the notation goes out of one screen! Even if it can be printed out! Auto scroll would be extremely beneficial! None of the original songs can be printed out so it is useless to a player to try and play along with the instructors if we can’t see what the notes are going forward! I know the scroll is in the instructors screen but that is really only one line at a time! For the learner To play the whole piece by themselves autoscroll is a must! Otherwise we have to keep stopping to scroll up for the next piece!

Your site is amazing and would be 5stars with autoscroll! Cheers Janelle

PS not “all” songs on performance offer autoscroll by the way!

# 6
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
05/05/2020 6:52 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin
Originally Posted by: gaca0002

I'm a beginner, and there are plenty of beginner song lessons where I have to to stop trying to find chords so I can move the music along myself. Printing isn't allowed on any of the songs I've tried so far. Please - it would be so helpful!

Thanks for checking out the songs! The play along and the performance sections of the song tutorial offer auto scroll. But you would like auto scroll on everything, correct?

Best,

Billy

Another vote for the auto scroll feature on all lessons not just the full performance and play along, there are many lessons where the full tab can not be fitted on the screen and the auto scroll feature would massively improve these lessons.

# 7
jsn.hgl
jsn.hgl
05/06/2020 1:01 am

I've been told via email with GT support and I think you've said the same here, Billy, that all song lessons since sometime in 2019 have auto scroll in the play along and performance lessons. This doesn't seem accurate. Also, I don't think any of them have it when using the app or a mobile phone. So much inconsistent feature performance. Quite frustrating. Same goes for the looping feature.

# 8
sbmcgarrigle
sbmcgarrigle
05/06/2020 1:58 pm

I've had a quick look through various threads. This is very obviously a known issue. It is also very obvious that people are leaving because of it.

GuitarTricks just ignoring the problem or providing "stock" answers to questions isn't going to fix the problem. This needs addressing as it is obviously a serious issue for your users and it is costing you business. The fact I've cancelled my annual membership and moved to a service that doesn't have these problems is a very clear example of this.

I hope you finally grasp this nettle and solve it properly so that both you, and your customers benefit in future. A sticking plaster approach just isn't cutting it. It needs addressing and is made even more frustrating that the rest of the product seems well thought out and useful.[br][br]

# 9
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
05/08/2020 12:13 am

Hello All,

Since this has been a recurring theme on this board, figured I would offer my 2 cents.

I`m currently about halfway through acoustic 1 having recently completed GF 1 and 2. I too was quite irritated at the lack of autoscroll for the song tutorials. Wanting to take full advantage of the lessons I came up with the following:

1) First, I would familiarize myself with each part : intro, verse, chorus etc.

2) Once I got more familiar with the song, I would write it down on a sheet of paper. Not the whole thing, just the chords and maybe a few prompts.

3) I would then try to play it just reading the paper; then try to play along with the instructor while listening on headphones,

4) Lastly, try to play the song through without looking at the paper while on the headphones.

This worked quite well for me and so far so good.

Having said all that, not having autoscroll on the songs is a major issue in an otherwise great website. I just want to learn guitar so I was willing to take some extra time to jerry rig a system of learning that actually worked well for me. I`m no IT person but is it really that hard to retrofit these lessons with autoscroll ? Just asking.

Cheers.

# 10
stevekleis
stevekleis
06/15/2020 12:07 am

The Auto Scroll is unusable. The line you are focused on jumps around, so your following just fine, and then the location of the line jumps to somewhere else on the page. It would help to always have it at the bottom or center or top but not all three at random.

# 11
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/15/2020 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: stevekleis

The Auto Scroll is unusable. The line you are focused on jumps around, so your following just fine, and then the location of the line jumps to somewhere else on the page. It would help to always have it at the bottom or center or top but not all three at random.

Can you tell us which lesson you're having trouble with? And could you please provide specifics on what you're seeing? We're currently adding auto scroll to the Core Learning, like Guitar Fundamentals level 1 and 2, and we'd love to hear your feedback on how it works.

-Billy

# 12
michele.dellatorre
Full Access
michele.dellatorre
Full Access
06/28/2020 8:23 am

On the 1st of october I opened a ticket saying the autscroll feature gets stuck on the bottom of the music score once it is reached.

On the 29th of december it was still buggy with no fix. Since I'm a software developer I dug into it and found the javascript file with the incorrect code and sent you a new file with the issue solved.

As today it is not working yet.

After 6 months.

After 6 months where you even had the solution!

After 6 months where you had a correct implementation, by a professional software engineer that spent hours to debug your code, fixed your problem and even improved it, with smoother animation during backwards scroll. You just need to replace your file with mine. 5 minutes of work, including the time you need to check my code.

What should I do more to have this feature fixed for everyone?

Thank you.

# 13
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/29/2020 7:54 pm
Originally Posted by: michele.dellatorre

On the 1st of october I opened a ticket saying the autscroll feature gets stuck on the bottom of the music score once it is reached.

On the 29th of december it was still buggy with no fix. Since I'm a software developer I dug into it and found the javascript file with the incorrect code and sent you a new file with the issue solved.

As today it is not working yet.

After 6 months.

After 6 months where you even had the solution!

After 6 months where you had a correct implementation, by a professional software engineer that spent hours to debug your code, fixed your problem and even improved it, with smoother animation during backwards scroll. You just need to replace your file with mine. 5 minutes of work, including the time you need to check my code.

What should I do more to have this feature fixed for everyone?

Thank you.

We definitely hear you on this, and we understand that there are some issues with the auto-scroll. Our internal team are working on a fix. We appreciate your patience.

Billy

# 14
Marty wants to be better
Marty wants to be better
07/13/2020 3:16 pm

Okay. this autoscroll is a pain in the neck. it cant be that hard to fix.it will not stop scrolling. when it does scroll, it scrolls too fast. i love the lessons.

# 15
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/13/2020 7:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Marty wants to be better

Okay. this autoscroll is a pain in the neck. it cant be that hard to fix.it will not stop scrolling. when it does scroll, it scrolls too fast. i love the lessons.

Hi! Thank you for the feedback.

When you pause the video, does the auto scroll keep going? Is that what you mean?

The auto-scroll feature is still a work-in-progress and we do appreciate your feedback. If possible, would you be able to give us the specific URL to the lesson you were watching where you had these problems?

Best,

Billy

# 16
michele.dellatorre
Full Access
michele.dellatorre
Full Access
07/18/2020 4:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi! Thank you for the feedback.

When you pause the video, does the auto scroll keep going? Is that what you mean?

The auto-scroll feature is still a work-in-progress and we do appreciate your feedback. If possible, would you be able to give us the specific URL to the lesson you were watching where you had these problems?

Best,

Billy

It happens every time you reach the end of the music sheet. You will notice that the border of the music sheet becomes red and you cannot scroll it anymore.

It happens when you reach the end of the song or, when the song structure is short, even in the middle.

To replicate it just try a bunch of different screen resolutions, it happens on every browser because it's a problem on your js that does not clean up a setInterval in those cases.

The other problem you have is that the backwards scroll is immediate, without the smooth animation you have while jumping forward.

Just use my file and you'll have both fixed.

I give you all rights on the code I sent you and I will never ask you anything in return, but please, fix it: especially when you are learning a new song this bug is incredibly annoying.

If you need contact me directly, I'm only happy to help you to make this site better.

Thank you

# 17
jrbos623
jrbos623
08/08/2020 7:01 pm

When playing "All of Me" using Auto Scroll, I got to the end of the song and hit "repeat lesson". The Auto Scroll immediately scrolled all the way to the bottom of the song and stuck there, even though the video started at the beginning. Only fix was to hit 'Previous Lesson" and then "next lesson" to get it to reset.

Auto Scroll should reset automatically when I hit Replay Lesson. Please sort this.

# 18
amyandryan
amyandryan
01/02/2021 5:44 pm

Hi there! I actually have not felt that you need auto scroll on all the lessons; but definitely on the full song portion. I just got to the end of the lessons for "The Gambler" and am at the point where I could play the song and I am finding it impossible because auto scroll isn't available (from what I can tell). I have not found this with any other songs I have played. Thanks for your help!

# 19
jimk8882
jimk8882
01/02/2021 7:40 pm

Like amyandryan, I don't believe that you must have the auto-scroll on lesson songs since you can always print them. It would be nice to have it but not the end of the world if not implemented in the lessons. I didn't mind printing as it gave me a chance to practice those songs without accessing the internet. I did this throughout GF 1 & 2 still do print in Blues 1.

I do, however, believe that auto-scroll is very necessary for songs. In this case, we cannot print them, due to copyright, and it is not physically possible to scroll the song while also playing. So I would urge GT to add and/or correct this feature on all of their songs. I found several where the auto-scroll does not work properly or does not exist, and have reported some of these in the forum or via e-mail. Support has been good to correct the songs where I have reported, but it shouldn't be necessary to do this so often.

A bit of a thorn in the side of an otherwise great site.

Jim

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.